Tuesday, August 31, 2021

What is Missing?

 

What is Missing? (Feel free to comment)

1 Corinthians 11: 17 In the following instructions, however, I do not praise you, because your meetings for worship actually do more harm than good. 18 In the first place, I have been told that there are opposing groups in your meetings; and this I believe is partly true. (19 No doubt there must be divisions among you so that the ones who are in the right may be clearly seen.) 20 When you meet together as a group, it is not the Lord's Supper that you eat. 21 For as you eat, you each go ahead with your own meal, so that some are hungry while others get drunk. 22 Don't you have your own homes in which to eat and drink? Or would you rather despise the church of God and put to shame the people who are in need? What do you expect me to say to you about this? Shall I praise you? Of course I don't!

 

============

 

“Why don’t we do an outreach for the people on, let’s say, Main (name changed to protect the church) street?” I said to the leaders.  Looking back, this challenge had a hidden agenda of exposing the fact that the outreach efforts seemed to be targeted to those who already attended this particular church. “Great, why don’t you lead the effort?” was the shocking reply I wasn’t prepared for.

 

  • There have been times when I wanted to be heard versus being part of the solution.
  • There have been times when I wanted to complain versus offering to help.
  • There have been times when I wanted to blame and feel good about registering my “two cents” versus stepping up to help based on a unifying need.

 

Paul does not hold back when it came to the divisive behavior of this group. Some people were getting all the attention, while others were left out. Some were using the church as a club to get “drunk.” What was missing was unity.

 

My Observations

  • GOD wants me to approach HIS gathering with unity.
  • GOD wants me to seek a unifying message versus “my own meal.”
  • GOD wants me to come together to help the entire congregation, not just feed my own appetite.

 

Don’t get me wrong, I have been in need many times. In fact, I am in need right now! But GOD wants me to approach HIS church with a unifying message versus trying to be heard and seeking division. I believe the only “right” message is to preach the belief and love of CHRIST.

 

My ideas for making things better or growing the church do not need to be heard unless they are shredded through the knives of humility and the blades of unity. I am glad GOD expects unity from us all.

 

Challenge

  • How powerful is unity?
  • How dangerous is division?
  • Have you ever come up with an idea and got frustrated when it was not accepted?
  • Will you seek unity by understanding the needs of all, while serving the group you have been called to?

No comments:

Post a Comment