Monday, August 30, 2021

Hair or Heart (Feel free to comment)

 

Hair or Heart  (Feel free to comment)

1 Corinthians 11: 13 Judge for yourselves whether it is proper for a woman to pray to God in public worship with nothing on her head. 14 Why, nature itself teaches you that long hair on a man is a disgrace, 15 but on a woman it is a thing of beauty. Her long hair has been given her to serve as a covering. 16 But if anyone wants to argue about it, all I have to say is that neither we nor the churches of God have any other custom in worship.

 

============

 

My wife’s hair dresser took off a few months to take care of her mother. This left her with a decision; go to someone else or get braids. She chose the braids. It took hours to get them put in. At one time in our country, it was taboo to wear braided hair to work. Hair, to me should not represent the heart.

 

  • To me, appearances can bring on a biased opinion.
  • To me, hair and clothes are yet another reason to show dislike for someone.
  • To me, people judge on what people have on their head, face and body without knowing the heart.

 

Paul explains there is no custom whether to allow a long haired or no haired woman to pray to GOD in public. This may make many people think the Bible is dated, but I think it referenced a law “Priests must not shave their heads or shave off the edges of their beards or cut their bodies.” Since this was confusing, he puts their mind to rest.

 

My Observations

  • GOD wants me to know HE looks at my heart, not my shaved head.
  • GOD wants me to understand that my appearance is not what HE will judge me on.
  • GOD wants me to believe that anyone can speak about JESUS as long as he or she believes in HIS power to forgive.

Sometimes I think we place too much credit in appearance. I mean, whether a person wears expensive shoes or no shoes, the words “GOD loves you” are still true. The same goes for hair, glasses, tee shirts or shoes or any other controversial facial or body covering.

 

GOD sees the heart and as long as it is aligned to spreading the great news of forgiveness, anyone can speak about JESUS.  I am glad HE accepts my bald head.

 

Challenge

  • What are your observations about appearance?
  • Do you think appearance hinders your ability to hear the message of GOD from a person?
  • Will you consider your heart over your appearance and speak about HIS love and saving grace today?

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment