Wednesday, December 13, 2023

Respectful Character

Respectful Character

1 Peter 2: 13 For the sake of the Lord submit yourselves to every human authority: to the Emperor, who is the supreme authority, 14 and to the governors, who have been appointed by him to punish the evildoers and to praise those who do good. 15 For God wants you to silence the ignorant talk of foolish people by the good things you do. 16 Live as free people; do not, however, use your freedom to cover up any evil, but live as God's slaves. 17 Respect everyone, love other believers, honor God, and respect the Emperor.

 

============

 

“Rolling my eyes at what was said, I listened to the speech, but did not believe a word. I clapped at the end of the leader’s speech, but huddled with others to tear down what was said. “What an idiot” we said as we scoffed at the leadership of the day.

 

  • It was easy for me to see the flaws in leadership.
  • It was easy for me to complain about the style of leadership.
  • It was easy for me to continue in my own sins because the spotlight was on someone else.

 

Peter suggests something radical. He knew government officials of the time may or may not believe in JESUS as their Savior, however he warns believers to “respect” those in authority. He knew that world systems would clash with belief in JESUS so he gave a remedy. Live with character and respect.

 

My Observations:

  • Living with flawed people can be difficult, BUT GOD wants me to look at my own flaws when looking at other’s.
  • Following terrible leaders can be hard, BUT GOD wants me to respect their authority and live for HIM in spite of their seemingly poor decisions.
  • GOD wants me to not think more highly of myself and HE wants me to constantly think of ways to be an example by loving other people.

 

Having purpose for GOD means loving and respecting others in public and in secret. I mean, it’s one thing to pretend to love people, yet turn around and say mean and harmful things about him or her. GOD wants me to have character and say respectful things about people whether I agree with them or not.

 

HE sees my heart and if I have disrespect in it, HE is willing to remove it if I ask. HE will then fill that area with love for others that is missing from the way I think. This heals my relationships so I can become a magnet for JESUS intentionally. I am grateful that GOD places people in authority and wants me to respect people to show them the way back to HIM.

 

Challenge

  • Why does the writer urge believers to have respect?
  • Have you ever examined your words to see if they contain any disrespect?
  • Will you examine your relationship with GOD and ask HIM to repair any character holes so you can be used by HIM to love those who are more difficult to love today?

No comments:

Post a Comment