Friday, December 8, 2023

Strangers and Refugees

Strangers and Refugees

1 Peter 2: 11 I appeal to you, my friends, as strangers and refugees in this world! Do not give in to bodily passions, which are always at war against the soul. 12 Your conduct among the heathen should be so good that when they accuse you of being evildoers, they will have to recognize your good deeds and so praise God on the Day of his coming.

 

============

 

Trying to fit in again, I listened to the crowd. They suggested the type of “fun” I should have by getting people drunk enough to have sex. I thought this was a good idea. My words sounded better when everyone was drunk.

 

  • I thought I was having “fun.”
  • I felt I was fitting in.
  • I did not know I was damaging the way people viewed me and the way GOD viewed me.

 

Peter gives a very stern warning to not give in to bodily passions. He then gives a reason, namely reputation. He knew that people would lie and accuse the followers of JESUS of doing evil. One day they will recognize.

 

My Observations:

  • GOD wants me to enjoy life by following HIS ways.
  • GOD wants me to have an abundant life by seeking what HE wants me to do.
  • GOD wants me to reduce the lust of the flesh, lust of the eyes and pride of life, trading them in for the fruit of the Spirit which is love, joy, peace, patience, goodness, gentleness, kindness, faithfulness and self-control.

 

Following GOD has to be intentional. I mean, when I fall to temptation, I do nothing but harm. I harm myself and possibly others. BUT GOD has a remedy. Follow HIS ways. GOD knows I feel guilty when I fall into sin. HE also knows HIS forgiveness is important.

 

GOD not only forgives me, HE provides a plan that includes a life of actively pursuing people to bring them back to HIM. HE gives me the right words at the right time. I am grateful GOD is willing to guide me.

 

Challenge

  • Why does the writer sound so serious?
  • Have you ever desired to do something that your heart is telling you “this is wrong?”
  • Will you seek GOD and ask HIM to reveal the awesome plan HE has for you today?

No comments:

Post a Comment