Wednesday, December 20, 2023

Seeking Good Times

 

Seeking Good Times

1 Peter 3:To conclude: you must all have the same attitude and the same feelings; love one another, and be kind and humble with one another. Do not pay back evil with evil or cursing with cursing; instead, pay back with a blessing, because a blessing is what God promised to give you when he called you. 10 As the scripture says,

“If you want to enjoy life
    and wish to see good times,
    you must keep from speaking evil
    and stop telling lies.
11 You must turn away from evil and do good;

    you must strive for peace with all your heart.
12 For the Lord watches over the righteous

    and listens to their prayers;
    but he opposes those who do evil.”

 

============

 

Wanting a better assignment, I lied about my age. I said I was two years older than I was so that maybe my years of experience would seem like more than they were. I was still considered a rookie and I wanted to shake that perception.

 

  • I lied to get ahead.
  • I didn’t consider my lie as harmful.
  • I showed my immaturity when I argued, fussed and fought instead of being above negative conversations.

 

Peter continues to provide some difficult lessons. He knew there would be some who would do evil to those who did good. His advice was to be above evil by paying back with good. He also used a Psalm from David to change the mindset. “Keep from speaking evil.”

 

My Observations

  • Striving for “good times” must include me telling the truth.
  • For me to “enjoy life” I must be able to rest, which means telling the truth.
  • Doing “good” and striving for “peace” gives me the makings for a life filled with good times.

 

Evil, brings on more evil. I mean, when someone does or says something bad to me or about me, I want to retaliate. I get my argument ready and maybe even think of ways to tear “that” person down. BUT GOD wants me to act different.

 

HE wants me above petty arguments to focus on HIM. HE wants “good” and “peace” to flow from me. This means I have to make a decision. I have to slow down, step away from the evil and speak the truth in live when the time is right. I am glad GOD gives me courage to speak truth.

 

Challenge

  • Why does the writer mention “pay back?”
  • Have you ever been provoked by an evil attack and wanted to retaliate?
  • Will you take the high road next time and seek “good times” by doing good in GOD’s sight today?

No comments:

Post a Comment