Thursday, August 15, 2013

How long should I serve?


Numbers 8: 25 “But when they reach the age of 50, they must not work any longer. They must stop doing their regular work. 26 They can help their brothers with their duties at the Tent of Meeting. But they themselves should not do the work. That is how you must direct the Levites to do their work.”

============

Driving to the church, I realized I hadn’t even noticed the new buildings in the neighborhood. In fact I had my usual route and I had not noticed anything about the neighborhood. I was busy running all the facts and figures of the “church building” in my mind.

Upon arrival the same people would be there waiting with questions or complaints. Didn’t they know I had other concerns to think about? This ministry would be great if it weren’t for the people!

  • Sometimes I forget that ministry is for people.
  • Sometimes I lose my dedication to the ministry I’m in.
  • Sometimes I get too comfortable with a ministry and put it on auto-pilot.


Looking back on the times I have served it seems I was most effective when I was uncomfortable in my service and it was new and fresh.  My conversations with the LORD were fervent and I had more questions than answers. But when I have served a while in the ministry I have all the reasons why something will or will NOT work.

  • GOD wants me to serve HIM my entire life but transition some of the duties to others.
  • GOD wants me to remain effective so I may have to change my ministry.
  • GOD wants me to have faith in HIM not faith in my performance.


Be careful when looking at this passage of scripture. Keep your job and work until the LORD says so. I do question my effectiveness when my ministry becomes the same old ministry. GOD wants me to stay fresh.

  • Are you serving in the same old capacity and its draining?
  • Do you hear GOD or are you listening to yourself?
  • Are you helping someone else take over the ministry or do you feel you are the only one?
  • Is it time for you to do another ministry?


No comments:

Post a Comment