Friday, May 10, 2019

Church as a business



John 2: 13 When it was almost time for the Jewish Passover, Jesus went up to Jerusalem. 14 In the temple courts he found people selling cattle, sheep and doves, and others sitting at tables exchanging money. 15 So he made a whip out of cords, and drove all from the temple courts, both sheep and cattle; he scattered the coins of the money-changers and overturned their tables. 16 To those who sold doves he said, ‘Get these out of here! Stop turning my Father’s house into a market!’ 17 His disciples remembered that it is written: ‘Zeal for your house will consume me.’

============

Arriving on time, I sat waiting to hear a sermon at a church I visited. I expected the usual announcements, a couple of songs and then a sermon. The screen displayed book after book to purchase. The announcements were laced with events that cost money to attend.

Finally someone approached the stage who seemed like they were going to preach. They proceeded to talk about the new CD that was being developed that would be available for purchase. “I wonder if I should be selling stuff to this church” I thought to myself with a tempted feeling.

  • There were times when I saw opportunities to make money from those who follow GOD.
  • There were times when I felt comfortable with selling as a guise to “raising money” in the church.
  • There were times when I looked at the numbers of those who attended a church and calculated how much money I could make if just a few people bought from me.


JESUS went into the temple courts and found people selling their wares. It probably seemed like a great business concept to sell sacrifices so that the church goer did not have to think about the difficulties of raising an animal. Low cost providers moved in with dishonorable sacrifices of doves to get money from the poor who couldn’t afford lawful sacrifices. All of this made JESUS furious!

  • GOD wants me to view church people as money to HIM.
  • GOD wants me to see church people as an opportunity to serve GOD as the final destination.
  • GOD wants me to gather together with people to worship HIM and HIM alone.


Gimmicks to raise money more than likely infuriate GOD. HE performed HIS entire ministry without asking for a penny, so did John. HE does understand taking care of those who sacrifice their life to provide a gathering for people to worship. Give them food and shelter and help them tell people about GOD. BUT GOD does not need gimmicks. I am cautious of being comfortable selling anything in or to the church.

  • Do you think GOD cannot survive without donations?
  • Do you really feel GOD will stop existing if a certain amount is not raised?
  • Will you put more trust in GOD by allowing HIM to move people around to spread HIS gospel without worrying about money today?


No comments:

Post a Comment