Friday, August 21, 2020

Philosophically Speaking


Acts 17: 16 While Paul was waiting for them in Athens, he was greatly distressed to see that the city was full of idols. 17 So he reasoned in the synagogue with both Jews and God-fearing Greeks, as well as in the marketplace day by day with those who happened to be there. 18 A group of Epicurean and Stoic philosophers began to debate with him. Some of them asked, “What is this babbler trying to say?” Others remarked, “He seems to be advocating foreign gods.” They said this because Paul was preaching the good news about Jesus and the resurrection. 19 Then they took him and brought him to a meeting of the Areopagus, where they said to him, “May we know what this new teaching is that you are presenting? 20 You are bringing some strange ideas to our ears, and we would like to know what they mean.” 21 (All the Athenians and the foreigners who lived there spent their time doing nothing but talking about and listening to the latest ideas.)

============

Having bought into the philosophy, I immersed myself deeply. I spoke day and night about the views and opinions that mattered most for the group. I found myself leaving my family to bow down to the group’s symbols. Work had become my god and prominent figures had become my idols.

  • It was easy for me to fall into a philosophical hole.
  • It was easy for me to follow a group that seemed to reward me.
  • It was easy for me to become something that satisfied my need for pleasure, affirmation and assurance.


Paul faced a difficult group of philosophers in Athens. They followed prominent figures like Epicurus or aligned with stoic beliefs. Fighting against hedonistic, mental rating, knowledge seeking people would be a challenge. They laughed at Paul because he spoke about JESUS saying he was a babbler. But Paul spoke anyway.

  • GOD wants me to speak about HIS SON anyway.
  • GOD wants me to follow HIS way as the only philosophy.
  • GOD wants me to value HIS word as the thing I need to worship.


So many human philosophies come and go. BUT GOD remains the same. HE wants me to value HIS love for humanity by telling people JESUS died for my sins and is now alive. I can place my trust in HIM to provide and protect. I am grateful for JESUS, in whom I place my trust.

  • Are you fighting for a certain philosophy that comes from humans?
  • Do you doubt certain aspects you hear about GOD?
  • Will you seek GOD and learn about HIM so you will have an everlasting purpose?


No comments:

Post a Comment