Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Strange Accounting


Acts 17: 29 “Therefore since we are God’s offspring, we should not think that the divine being is like gold or silver or stone—an image made by human design and skill. 30 In the past God overlooked such ignorance, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent. 31 For he has set a day when he will judge the world with justice by the man he has appointed. He has given proof of this to everyone by raising him from the dead.”

32 When they heard about the resurrection of the dead, some of them sneered, but others said, “We want to hear you again on this subject.” 33 At that, Paul left the Council. 34 Some of the people became followers of Paul and believed. Among them was Dionysius, a member of the Areopagus, also a woman named Damaris, and a number of others.

============

Since the plane landed later than I expected, I figured I would make up the time. I sped through the state trying to reach my destination. I got pulled over and was given a ticket. I sped off and reached my meeting with a prominent figure of the state.

On my way back, I continued my speeding and was pulled over again. I explained I had just left the prominent figure. Because of this person, I was forgiven by not receiving a ticket. I drove slower.

  • There have been times when I did not care about receiving penalties.
  • There have been times when I consciously sinned because I had a “good” reason.
  • There have been times when I finally realized I needed to change because I hit rock bottom.


Paul explained to the highly educated audience that worshipping idols made from gold, silver or stone, was worthless. GOD is a divine being and we are HIS offspring, Paul explained. He then spoke about the resurrection which raised their interest. Some believed.

  • GOD wants me to believe in the resurrection of JESUS.
  • GOD wants me to believe that JESUS will judge me with justice.
  • GOD wants me to believe I deserve eternal punishment but JESUS holds the decision to forgive or not.


Forgiveness for sin belongs to JESUS. HE uses some very strange accounting. HE forgives me for all my sins as long as I believe HE can and will forgive them. HE then places the HOLY SPIRIT in me so I can repent from repeating the same mistakes over and over. Even if I do repeat a sin, HE forgive that.

BUT the FATHER does not forgive those who do no believe in the HOLY SPIRIT or JESUS who sends HIM. This one sin is not overlooked and will be remembered for all eternity. I am grateful JESUS gave HIS life for me and has raised from the dead to forgive me.

  • Are you continually doing whatever pleases you without thinking of consequence?
  • Are you making excuses for what you do by finding other humans that will justify your behavior?
  • Will you give your life to JESUS and allow HIM to forgive you so you can be given purpose and eternal life today?


No comments:

Post a Comment