Monday, August 24, 2020

Just in Case


Acts 17: 22 Paul then stood up in the meeting of the Areopagus and said: “People of Athens! I see that in every way you are very religious. 23 For as I walked around and looked carefully at your objects of worship, I even found an altar with this inscription: to an unknown god. So you are ignorant of the very thing you worship—and this is what I am going to proclaim to you.

============

Picking up the penny made me excited. I would have “good luck” all day, according to the saying. I searched for more loose change and found more! I was having good luck. I started looking for “lucky” implements like shirts, clovers and team apparel. I even started reading horoscopes, just in case.

  • At one point in my life I believed in luck.
  • At one point in my life I believed in “the universe.”
  • At one point in my life I believed in placing my hope in fortune cookies or winning the lottery.


Paul saw an altar amongst many altars to other gods. This one had an inscription “to an unknown god.” The people built this altar, just in case they missed a god. Paul knew this was his chance to speak about the one and only true GOD.

  • GOD wants me to believe HE is completely what I need.
  • GOD wants me to know HE does not need additions to HIS power.
  • GOD wants me to understand that HE holds the universe in HIS hand and there are no random events.


What seems to be random to me is organized by GOD. HE knows all, sees all and is everywhere. The “bad” things that happen is due to free will, given by GOD. When I choose not to believe in GOD’s SON JESUS, who saved me, bad things happen.

JESUS wants and deserves total belief in HIM. I mean, HE forgives me when I panic and try to do things on my own, but loves when I put my trust in HIM. I am grateful HE has made the unknown, known by giving me the HOLY SPIRIT.

  • Where are you placing your hope?
  • Do you seek random events or try to play the odds or try to control your life?
  • Will you let go of your “just in case” thinking and allow GOD to direct your path through JESUS who saved you?

No comments:

Post a Comment