Wednesday, February 14, 2024

Heart Training

Heart Training

2 Peter 2: 14 They want to look for nothing but the chance to commit adultery; their appetite for sin is never satisfied. They lead weak people into a trap. Their hearts are trained to be greedy. They are under God's curse! 15 They have left the straight path and have lost their way; they have followed the path taken by Balaam son of Beor, who loved the money he would get for doing wrong 16 and was rebuked for his sin. His donkey spoke with a human voice and stopped the prophet's insane action.

 

============

 

After trying out sex, I wanted more. My mind wandered thinking about it. After lying without getting caught, I lied some more. It was easy. After sneaking home while working as a janitor, I planned more “fun time” when I was supposed to be working.

 

  • My heart was getting trained to lust.
  • My heart was getting trained to lie.
  • My heart was getting trained to be sneaky and unreliable.

 

Peter continued his warning against false teachers. He pointed out more of their motives they would use to get their way. He then gave an example of Balaam son of Beor who considered cursing GOD’s people for money. He was rebuked or reprimanded until he changed his heart.

 

My Observations:

  • GOD will let me do what I want to do but eventually if I do what HE does not want me to do, HE will step in and rebuke or reprimand me.
  • GOD wants me to turn my heart over to HIM so HE can live in it.
  • GOD is willing to cleanse me of all unrighteousness if I am willing to confess my sins to HIM, wanting HIM to take away my appetite for the sin.

 

Hearts can be trained. I mean, I can learn to love or learn to hate people. When I learn to hate, I disguise it, justify it and use it often. “It’s their fault I am this way” would be my justification. BUT GOD wants me to see HIM without being blind.

 

GOD wants me to train my heart to follow HIS examples of grace, mercy and love. HE even did away with all the rules by giving one command, namely “Love one another.” This action fulfills all the rules. I am glad GOD loves me enough to guide me towards HIS way of thinking.

 

Challenge

  • Why Is the writer so determined in the warning that is given?
  • Have you ever done something you knew in your heart was wrong, yet you did it anyway?
  • Will you turn your heart over to GOD and allow HIM to remove the things you know you should not be doing so HE can use you to grow the kingdom today?


No comments:

Post a Comment