Thursday, February 15, 2024

True Freedom From Slavery

True Freedom From Slavery

2 Peter 2: 17 These people are like dried-up springs, like clouds blown along by a storm; God has reserved a place for them in the deepest darkness. 18 They make proud and stupid statements, and use immoral bodily lusts to trap those who are just beginning to escape from among people who live in error. 19 They promise them freedom while they themselves are slaves of destructive habits—for we are slaves of anything that has conquered us. 20 If people have escaped from the corrupting forces of the world through their knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, and then are again caught and conquered by them, such people are in worse condition at the end than they were at the beginning. 21 It would have been much better for them never to have known the way of righteousness than to know it and then turn away from the sacred command that was given them. 22 What happened to them shows that the proverbs are true: “A dog goes back to what it has vomited” and “A pig that has been washed goes back to roll in the mud.”

 

============

 

After reaching a certain level, I figured people would listen to me. I flaunted my title and expected everyone to align to “my” statements because of the level. Wealth was an easy target to dangle in front of those who desired it. “If you work hard, then you can win an award” was the company line I believed in.

 

  • I was a slave to power.
  • I was a slave to money.
  • I was a slave to being followed and giving “my” advice.

 

Peter concludes his warning to stay away from false teachers. He gives some startling truths regarding enslavement. The false teachers lured people back into destructive habits that people had escaped because of their belief in JESUS, enslaving them and taking away their hope.

 

My Observations:

  • GOD is willing to cleanse me daily.
  • True freedom is available to me when I follow what CHRIST says.
  • There is hope for the addicted, the hopeless and the down-trodden through JESUS.

 

Following humans is okay, but following GOD is the best way to go. I mean, humans, even preachers and missionaries, can have an agenda that can lead to a false teaching of GOD’s love to get his or her lustful way. GOD sees this kind of manipulation and is not pleased with it , at all! Fortunately there is another way.

 

JESUS forgives and is willing to heal those who struggle with something he or she knows is not good for them. HE has faced every type of temptation and cares for you and me. HE, however, wants HIS followers to be wise and to not follow flattering words that may take people away from HIS love. I am glad GOD cares enough for me to guide me away from myself and protect me from those who do not care about HIS precious name.

 

Challenge

  • What corrupting forces is the writer talking about?
  • Have you ever been worried about something or have you been stuck doing something you know is not good for you?
  • Will you reduce following humans who may be manipulating you to get his or her way and seek GOD’s way that can set you free today?

No comments:

Post a Comment