Wednesday, February 28, 2024

Inward Truth

Inward Truth

1 John 1: If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us.

 

============

 

On the way to the picnic, a motorcycle tried to pass me on the shoulder while I was making a sudden right turn. I was an inexperienced driver and I has begged for the car. “What will I tell my parents?” was the worry I felt all day. Arriving home, I found some spray paint that could possibly cover the dented area. Maybe they won’t notice.

 

  • I was not at fault, yet I was nervous and I tried to protect myself.
  • I tried to cover up the problem that was obvious and made the situation worse by using the wrong color.
  • I took a deep breath, told the truth and was surprised that my worst fears were not met.

 

John seemed to be addressing insecure hidden sin. This sticky sin can be hidden from people well, especially if practiced over time. He even addressed the sin that allows us to fool ourselves into believing that we are justified in what we are doing.

 

My Observations:

  • Sin has a power over me when I hide it or cover it up.
  • When I confess my sin, it not only loses its power, but the desire diminishes.
  • GOD is the only one who is faithful in the situation where I need my sins forgiven and cleansed.

 

Not seeing there is a problem is the problem. I mean, when I think I do not have a sin problem, I cannot confess that I have a problem and therefore will not make a change that could address the problem. Fooling myself into thinking I am “right” is a huge problem that GOD is willing to fix.

 

HE wants me to humbly come to HIM with the awareness of myself, so I can confess things in my life that need correcting. HE is faithful and just to correct me, heal me and clean me in HIS way and HIS time. I gladly confess my sins to GOD to diminish the power it has over me.

 

Challenge

  • Why does the writer use the words “If we say” twice?
  • Have you ever fooled yourself by comparing yourself to someone who is doing “worse” than you?
  • Will you take an inward inventory and confess your sins to GOD so HE will cleanse you of all unrighteousness today?

No comments:

Post a Comment