Tuesday, September 10, 2024

I Ain ’t In It!

 

I Ain ’t In It!

Revelation 18: The kings of the earth who took part in her immorality and lust will cry and weep over the city when they see the smoke from the flames that consume her. 10 They stand a long way off, because they are afraid of sharing in her suffering. They say, “How terrible! How awful! This great and mighty city Babylon! In just one hour you have been punished!”

 

============

 

Getting caught in the act made me feel uncomfortable. I looked at others who were involved to speak up but no one stepped up. When I went to one guy, he said “My name is Bennet, I Ain ‘t  in it!” as if to say, I have nothing to do with your punishment! Ain ‘t is slang for “am not.”

 

  • I wanted others to join in with me, so maybe my punishment would be milder.
  • I wanted someone else to speak up so perhaps my punishment would go away.
  • I actually did not know what I was expecting by asking guilty people for help to jump in when I was caught.

 

John, the disciple JESUS loved, was shown the fall of the great city that caused people to sin. Those who had joined in sexual sin mourned over the great punishment imposed on the city. But they stood off in the distance, afraid of sharing in the suffering.

 

My Observations:

  • There is strength in numbers until “I” get caught doing something.
  • I feel comfortable when “everyone” else is doing the same bad thing that I want to do.
  • My best path is to stay away from doing the thing in the first place.

 

Risking getting caught is not the problem, rather doing the thing I would get caught doing, in the first place is the problem. Did I say that right? I mean, I should fear doing the thing that upsets GOD in the first place rather than fearing the consequence of my sinful action.

 

Before I commit the act, I should ask myself, “Is this worth losing everything over this moment of pleasure or this act of hatred?” “NO!” should be the answer. GOD gives me a way out that the tempting great city does not offer. HE provides forgiveness where the tempting city provides death. I choose JESUS for my forgiveness.

 

Challenge

  • Why does the writer include the distance of the guilty people from the great city?
  • Have you ever gotten caught for something you did wrong?
  • Will you learn from your mistakes and stay away from easy sin so you will not have to face consequences today?

No comments:

Post a Comment