Wednesday, September 11, 2024

Merchants Mourn

Merchants Mourn

Revelation 18: 11 The merchants of the earth also cry and mourn for her, because no one buys their goods any longer; 12 no one buys their gold, silver, precious stones, and pearls; their goods of linen, purple cloth, silk, and scarlet cloth; all kinds of rare woods and all kinds of objects made of ivory and of expensive wood, of bronze, iron, and marble; 13 and cinnamon, spice, incense, myrrh, and frankincense; wine and oil, flour and wheat, cattle and sheep, horses and carriages, slaves, and even human lives. 14 The merchants say to her, “All the good things you longed to own have disappeared, and all your wealth and glamor are gone, and you will never find them again!” 15 The merchants, who became rich from doing business in that city, will stand a long way off, because they are afraid of sharing in her suffering. They will cry and mourn, 16 and say, “How terrible! How awful for the great city! She used to dress herself in linen, purple, and scarlet, and cover herself with gold ornaments, precious stones, and pearls! 17 And in one hour she has lost all this wealth!”

 

============

 

Expecting to be rich, I asked for some stock tips from a wealthy person. I immediately purchased some shares of stock to practice my new route to extreme wealth! I watched “my” money grow for a minute, but then the stock began to fall. I decided to keep “my” money in. After a while, the stock went to zero and I lost “my” money.

 

  • The loss came quickly.
  • The loss made me mourn.
  • The loss made me stay away from wasting any more time and money, searching for something empty.

 

John, the disciple JESUS loved, was shown a great city that caused the world to sin in greedy ways. Merchants who had become wealthy mourned over the immediate loss of income from the lustful wealth they once had experienced.

 

My Observations:

  • When GOD said “The love of money is the root of all kinds of evil” HE said it as a warning.
  • GOD also warned me that humans cannot serve two masters and the choice will be between HIM or money.
  • GOD wants me to love HIM with all my heart, mind and soul, so there would be no room for loving things that could harm me.

 

Having money is not the problem, it is when money has me that causes many issues. I mean, when I can easily give to people and do not care if I am wealthy or not, then GOD can trust me to not fall into the temptations of wealth. Unfortunately, wealth is flashed in front of us, seemingly, every minute of the day.

 

Business owners face a dilemma of being profitable and serving people. GOD blesses fair scales, or prices and wonderful treatment of employees and customers. I gladly put GOD at the center of my business so I will not share in the tearing down of the thing that makes greed appealing.

 

Challenge

  • What detail does the writer mention?
  • Have you ever wanted to be rich or at least more wealthy?
  • Has money hindered your relationship with serving GOD?

No comments:

Post a Comment