Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Addressing Racism


Luke 9: 51 Now it came to pass, when the time had come for Him to be received up, that He steadfastly set His face to go to Jerusalem, 52 and sent messengers before His face. And as they went, they entered a village of the Samaritans, to prepare for Him. 53 But they did not receive Him, because His face was set for the journey to Jerusalem. 54 And when His disciples James and John saw this, they said, “Lord, do You want us to command fire to come down from heaven and consume them, just as Elijah did?”

55 But He turned and rebuked them, and said, “You do not know what manner of spirit you are of. 56 For the Son of Man did not come to destroy men’s lives but to save them. And they went to another village.

============

While walking back to my dorm room a guy stuck his head out of his room and cried out “Hey (racial slur)!” This infuriated me! I not only wanted to fight, but from then on I called him “(racial slur)”. The fight for “justice” was on!

  • There were times when I was enraged by others who treated me poorly because of my race.
  • There were times when I was filled with rage when I perceived people not accepting me because of my race.
  • There were times when I refused to serve anyone who was not in my race and I labeled “them” as being racist.


JESUS was rejected and not allowed to stay in an entire village because of HIS race. The Samaritans, who had been looked down upon by the Jews, saw an opportunity to give a little “justice” and sent JESUS and HIS friends away. When James and John saw they could not reason with hatred they asked JESUS “Should we have them killed?” JESUS had another plan.

  • GOD wants me to love those who hate me.
  • GOD wants me to stay focused on HIS kingdom rather than focusing on the many sins of humans.
  • GOD wants me to examine my hatred towards others daily and to give it to HIM so HIS love may win them over to the kingdom.


Forgiveness of other races did not start with a few select humans in history rather it was started by GOD. JESUS was hated by HIS own creation simply because HE loved them. No matter what HE did or how hard HE tried, HIS owns creation blamed HIM for every problem. HE received no rest.

JESUS wants me to recognize the need for GOD rather than seeing yet another sinful act of a human.  Since HIS wish is not to send humans to hell, I should never wish someone there. GOD is the only one who can turn my furious hatred into genuine love for others. HIS love creates fruit for HIS kingdom through me.

  • Do you see actions around you that can be labeled “micro-aggressive?”
  • Do you perceive unfair treatment because of who you are?
  • Will you pray for your rage to subside and for HIS love to enter you and those who are the aggressors?
  • Will you ask for courage to treat the multitudes with love in spite of how they treat you?

No comments:

Post a Comment