Monday, October 22, 2018

Heart Widener



Luke 10: 29 But he, wanting to justify himself, said to Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?”

30 Then Jesus answered and said: “A certain man went down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among thieves, who stripped him of his clothing, wounded him, and departed, leaving him half dead. 31 Now by chance a certain priest came down that road. And when he saw him, he passed by on the other side. 32 Likewise a Levite, when he arrived at the place, came and looked, and passed by on the other side. 33 But a certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was. And when he saw him, he had compassion. 34 So he went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine; and he set him on his own animal, brought him to an inn, and took care of him. 35 On the next day, when he departed, he took out two denarii, gave them to the innkeeper, and said to him, ‘Take care of him; and whatever more you spend, when I come again, I will repay you.’ 36 So which of these three do you think was neighbor to him who fell among the thieves?”

37 And he said, “He who showed mercy on him.”

Then Jesus said to him, “Go and do likewise.”

============

“Say you are sorry!” was the exclamation of an adult to me. After a few stubborn moments, I grunted “Sorry!” and stormed away knowing I was not apologetic at all.

  • There have been many times when my heart is closed.
  • There have been many times when my heart guides my actions and my mouth to no good.
  • Three have been many times when my heart shows just how bad I really am.


JESUS spoke to the lawyer in a parable about an attacked person laying in the street. The victim received no help from those who were supposed to be helpful. They were not only the victim’s race, they were so called, “followers of GOD” yet did not help. JESUS used this story to show the poor condition of the heart.

  • GOD wants me to show mercy on those who do not deserve mercy.
  • GOD wants me to examine my heart and ask for HIS mercy to heal it.
  • GOD wants me to be healed by HIM so I can show mercy to others.


Hard hearts have complaints rather than solutions. The people of the church seem to do the most damage to other people because they are supposed to be “followers of GOD.” When I am not following GOD, my example hurts worse than someone who hasn’t followed GOD at all.

GOD sees my actions and hears every word I say. HE wants “love” to widen my heart rather than the “poison” that can shrink people out. The wider my heart the more love comes out of my mouth and my actions will guide people towards HIM.

  • What is your heart full of?
  • Can people see GOD in you or do they walk away from you more empty than they came?
  • Will you stop to help hurting people become healed so GOD can draw them to HIM?


No comments:

Post a Comment