Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Looking Back


Luke 9: 57 Now it happened as they journeyed on the road, that someone said to Him, “Lord, I will follow You wherever You go.”

58 And Jesus said to him, “Foxes have holes and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay His head.”

59 Then He said to another, “Follow Me.”

But he said, “Lord, let me first go and bury my father.”

60 Jesus said to him, “Let the dead bury their own dead, but you go and preach the kingdom of God.”

61 And another also said, “Lord, I will follow You, but let me first go and bid them farewell who are at my house.”

62 But Jesus said to him, “No one, having put his hand to the plow, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.”

============

Stressful was the only word to describe this particular job. Long days and even longer nights, I toiled to make sure everything was maintained in this politically charged climate. When I left the company after years of fighting, I sat at home, worried about my income. “I miss the perks” I thought. “I remember being sent to an island retreat.” I wonder if they would take me back.

  • There have been times when I wanted parts of my sinful lifestyle.
  • There have been times when I did not want to accept today so I looked back at yesterday.
  • There have been times when I was overwhelmed by current situations so I desired comfortable circumstance.


JESUS gives some very surprising words to those who really wanted to follow HIM. HE basically says “I AM homeless” and “Dead people hold onto dead people and get stuck where they are” and “By looking back, you can never look forward.”

  • GOD says to me “Do not worry about your possessions for they will come and go.”
  • GOD says to me “Life and death are MINE to own and MY relationship with you is extremely important.”
  • GOD says to me “Do not look back on your sinful lifestyle as something to be gained but focus on growing MY kingdom.”


When I experience extreme loss, it feels like I have nowhere to turn. I wanted my “old” life back. BUT GOD wanted something much different. HE wanted me free to serve people and to see that HIS way is far better than mine. HIS word can be spread without money, or family guidance.

HE asks me to trust HIM more and more each day and to let go of the old and focus on the new life HE has for me. HE guides me daily through HIS amazing word.

  • Do you feel lost?
  • Have you experienced a great loss of possessions and loved ones?
  • Will you allow GOD to comfort you by letting go of past possessions, relationships and lifestyles so HE can transform you into a much stronger you?


No comments:

Post a Comment