Monday, January 28, 2019

Change for a Dollar


Luke 19: Jesus entered Jericho and was passing through. A man was there by the name of Zacchaeus; he was a chief tax collector and was wealthy. He wanted to see who Jesus was, but because he was short he could not see over the crowd. So he ran ahead and climbed a sycamore-fig tree to see him, since Jesus was coming that way.

When Jesus reached the spot, he looked up and said to him, ‘Zacchaeus, come down immediately. I must stay at your house today.’So he came down at once and welcomed him gladly.

All the people saw this and began to mutter, ‘He has gone to be the guest of a sinner.’

But Zacchaeus stood up and said to the Lord, ‘Look, Lord! Here and now I give half of my possessions to the poor, and if I have cheated anybody out of anything, I will pay back four times the amount.’

Jesus said to him, ‘Today salvation has come to this house, because this man, too, is a son of Abraham. 10 For the Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost.’

============

Crying did not help the lost money return. As I sat there disappointed, I realized my day was over before it began. I had lost the money I was supposed to use to keep myself amused the entire day. After the incident, I hated to lose anything. I promised myself I would never be “poor.”

  • There were times when I despised being poor.
  • There were times when I dreamt of being rich.
  • There were times when I dove into the pursuit of wealth at all costs.


Zacchaeus had swindled his way to the top. Not only was he a tax collector, he was the head of those who stole from others. He had a desire to see JESUS and was determined enough to climb a tree to get a better view. JESUS knew who he was and invited HIMSELF over Zacchaeus’s house. Zacchaeus changed and wanted to give than receive.

  • GOD wants me to change from being money driven.
  • GOD wants me to see HIM as being GOD rather than being led by how much or how little cash I have.
  • GOD wants me to think about HIM more than I think about my bank account.


Whether it’s worry or pride, there is a problematic view of money that GOD despises. I’m not saying humans don’t have needs, I am saying that money can drive people to lie, swindle or even preach more about money than they do about JESUS. I, at one time, thought about lying one my resume just to get a better paying job.

GOD wants me to be brave enough to be who HE wants me to be and follow HIM. HE knows my financial status and desires that HE be my provider. GOD has given me an abundance that I can never thank HIM enough. HE gave me HIS SON and I am eternally grateful.

  • Are you focused strictly on money?
  • How many conversations about money or wealthy people do you have?
  • Will you change your desires to follow GOD where HE has you today?

No comments:

Post a Comment