Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Other Side of the Story



Luke 19: 20 ‘Then another servant came and said, “Sir, here is your mina; I have kept it laid away in a piece of cloth. 21 I was afraid of you, because you are a hard man. You take out what you did not put in and reap what you did not sow.”

22 ‘His master replied, “I will judge you by your own words, you wicked servant! You knew, did you, that I am a hard man, taking out what I did not put in, and reaping what I did not sow? 23 Why then didn’t you put my money on deposit, so that when I came back, I could have collected it with interest?”

24 ‘Then he said to those standing by, “Take his mina away from him and give it to the one who has ten minas.”

25 ‘“Sir,” they said, “he already has ten!”

26 ‘He replied, “I tell you that to everyone who has, more will be given, but as for the one who has nothing, even what they have will be taken away. 27 But those enemies of mine who did not want me to be king over them – bring them here and kill them in front of me.”’

============

Waking up startled, I realized I had slept away the precious hours I was supposed to be studying. I did not understand the material in the first place so the warning of failure, given by the professor, was turning into a reality. There were only a few hours to learn a semester of material.

  • There have been times when I did not heed the warnings.
  • There have been times when I have been warned but stayed on the wrong road.
  • There have been times when I did not adjust my direction soon enough and I crashed.


JESUS continues HIS parable about the king who gave out responsibility while he was away. This time JESUS spoke of a person who did not believe in the purpose given to him. This person did nothing with the money in which he was entrusted. Instead, he wrapped it in a piece of cloth and blamed the king with a misconceived thought.

  • GOD wants me to understand “The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom.”
  • GOD wants me to know “Do not fear humans, but fear the ONE who can send you to hell.”
  • GOD wants me to be wise enough to recognize HE is watching me every day.


Free will comes with consequences I do not understand. If I were not free to choose GOD then I would simply be an automaton on a symbolic railroad track to destiny that I could not choose. That does not show love.

GOD decided to create me with a choice. I can choose HIM and HIS ways or I can live a purposeless life, thinking I am in control. This parable represents rewards and consequence. I choose to follow GOD who has all the power I need. HE is my refuge.

  • Have you given up on GOD?
  • Where will you turn to?
  • Will you turn back to GOD and allow HIM to do amazing things through you?


No comments:

Post a Comment