Friday, January 18, 2019

Good At It


Luke 18: To some who were confident of their own righteousness and looked down on everyone else, Jesus told this parable: 10 ‘Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed: “God, I thank you that I am not like other people – robbers, evildoers, adulterers – or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.”

13 ‘But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, “God, have mercy on me, a sinner.”

14 ‘I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.’

============

Slapping the winning card onto my forehead in exuberance for all to see was my goal, but alas I did not know how to play the card game. I studied the rules. I played and played until I was good at it, missing many classes along the way. Now, I too could slap the winning card onto my forehead in a shout of victory! I was very good at that game, if I must say.

  • There were times when I wanted to feel that I was “good at something.”
  • There were times when I wanted to be better at something than other people.
  • There were times when I wanted to be superior at something so other people would look at me as if I were special.


JESUS spoke to the crowd about church leaders who thought they were “good at this god thing.” HE spoke about how proud they were to follow the rules and compare themselves to others.

BUT HE also contrasted this example with a person whom everyone hated because of his thieving profession. The tax collector did not see himself as worthy, but asked for mercy from GOD. The tax collector was the one who JESUS said was the humble one.

  • GOD wants me to know I can never be “good” enough to meet HIS standards.
  • GOD wants me to tell people about my sins rather than trying to put on a front that I am perfect.
  • GOD wants me to show people that sinners like me can be saved without having to “pay” or “do” their way into heaven.


The “Good News about CHRIST” is not really good news if every human can’t achieve it. I mean if JESUS’s gift of salvation is based on how good I follow the rules, then I am in trouble. JESUS points out that I need HIM as my savior. I sin daily and walk away from HIM daily, BUT GOD is my forgiver. I will never be “good at” following HIM. That’s why I love GOD.

  • Do you think you can reach perfection by dropping off a few sins?
  • Do you look down on other people or complain about how they are running their lives?
  • Will you stop comparing yourself to other people and look at JESUS’s perfection as your salvation?
  • Will you ask for HIS mercy on your mountain of sins today?

No comments:

Post a Comment