Friday, October 28, 2022

Gentle

Gentle

1 Thessalonians 2: You know very well that we did not come to you with flattering talk, nor did we use words to cover up greed—God is our witness! We did not try to get praise from anyone, either from you or from others, even though as apostles of Christ we could have made demands on you. But we were gentle when we were with you, like a mother taking care of her children.

 

============

 

Hearing the lie, I crafted my words to counter what was said. When the person heard my words, he countered with insults. Now that I was insulted, I really had to give it to him. I countered with more words. What were we even talking about?

 

  • I got mad during the conversation.
  • I wanted to be “heard” so I kept using more words.
  • I eventually used words that were rough and coarse.

 

Paul, Silas and Timothy lived with the people of Thessalonica. During this time they encountered day to day circumstances that could have turned into arguments, but they chose not to. They also refrained from flattering words to cover up greed, like some of the speakers who had done so in the past.

 

My Observations

  • Flattering talk can get me to a certain point, BUT GOD wants my words to speak of HIS truth.
  • Seeking the right words, only to gain money, can get me wealthy in a greedy way, BUT GOD wants my words to be rich and full of HIS treasures.
  • Following famous people and praising their prowess can get me liked so I can fit in, BUT GOD deserves to be mentioned over all.

 

“Toughen up” or “Take the hill” or “Fight” sound like words of a leader, but there are times when these qualities don’t fit. I mean, when a baby is crying and he or she cannot communicate what is wrong, it takes gentleness to figure out the solution to the baby’s problem.

 

Gentleness overcomes insecurity, greed and loneliness. How? It removes the desire to need to “fit in” and replaces it with GOD’s purpose. Gentleness knows people will make mistakes and reacts slowly with HIS solution. It makes no demands because gentleness is stronger than brute force. I am glad JESUS is gentle with me.

 

Challenge

  • What alternative to flattering words, greed and praising humans do the writers speak of?
  • Have you ever sought out praise or felt a little greedy or placed demands on others?
  • Will you learn of GOD’s gentleness and mimic HIS love for other’s today?

No comments:

Post a Comment