Monday, October 24, 2022

Origin of Courage

Origin of Courage

1 Thessalonians 2: Our friends, you yourselves know that our visit to you was not a failure. You know how we had already been mistreated and insulted in Philippi before we came to you in Thessalonica. And even though there was much opposition, our God gave us courage to tell you the Good News that comes from him. 

 

============

 

“There will be hundreds of people in the audience” were the words that made me nervous. I was asked to be one of the speakers at a regional meeting and I had never spoken to an audience of this size. I asked for tips to control my nervousness. One person said “practice”, another said “Don’t practice, use a three point outline.” The differing perspectives made me more nervous.

 

  • I was scared to be in front of people.
  • I worried about the validity of message.
  • I replayed in my mind how I could possibly mess up in front of a lot of people.

 

Paul, Silas and Timothy expressed  the “opposition” they faced in places like Philippi and Thessalonica. They had been slandered, ridiculed and insulted. This could have been very discouraging if they had to rely on their own courage, but they did not have to.

 

My Observations

  • Sometimes I get scared, BUT GOD is there to help me through my fears.
  • Sometimes I get nervous, BUT GOD is there to calm me down and lead me to a still place.
  • Sometimes I get anxious, BUT GOD is there to give me courage.

 

Mustering up courage when I am scared seems impossible. I mean, when I am fearful, I make fearful decisions. I may not even think straight enough to apply logic. Words like “Don’t be afraid” make me more afraid. BUT GOD has a remedy.

 

HE says to me “I got this.” HE gives me the courage to speak about HIS SON when I am worried about what people may think or if someone may oppose HIS message. GOD gently reminds me that if HE is for me, who can be against me? I am glad GOD owns courage and is willing to give it to me to speak about the Good News that comes from HIM.

 

Challenge

  • What opposition do you think the writers faced?
  • Have you ever been worried, nervous or scared?
  • Will you turn to the one who owns courage and ask HIM to give you the right words to present the “Good News” to those HE sends you to today?

No comments:

Post a Comment