Monday, October 31, 2022

Self-Contained

Self-Contained

1 Thessalonians 2: Because of our love for you we were ready to share with you not only the Good News from God but even our own lives. You were so dear to us! Surely you remember, our friends, how we worked and toiled! We worked day and night so that we would not be any trouble to you as we preached to you the Good News from God.

 

============

 

“What about me?” was the thought I was starting to form. “I” was doing the work and not getting recognized. In fact, other people were taking credit for what “I” was doing.  And some of the people were not lifting a finger to help.

 

  • I wanted recognition.
  • I desired to get some help.
  • I was motivated by pay or a bonus or some other form of money.

 

Paul, Silas and Timothy explained how hard they worked for the people. They may have arrived as strangers, but over time and after a lot of hard work, they were able to preach the Good News. Their motives came from a different place.

 

My Observations

  • GOD’s love for me is not because of what I do for HIM, rather it is self-contained in HIS love for me.
  • JESUS showed HIS love for me to the point where HE died for me and was raised from the dead.
  • My love for others should be self-contained, not needing something from him or her.

 

Money, recognition and returned favors seem to motivate me temporarily, but lose their power over time. I mean, I still end up complaining about the work or the relationship or the lack of favors. After a while, I ask “What about me?” in a deserving way that seems harmless, but could be destructive.

 

GOD wants my love for people to be self-contained. HE wants me to give to people who cannot give back in return. My motivation for serving people should be based on HIS love for me and because HE lives inside me. I am glad that when I am tempted to pout that “I” am the only one working, GOD opens up my eyes to the lie and shows me others who are serving HIM and HE also shows me HE loves me.

 

Challenge

  • What do you think the writers motives were?
  • Have you ever felt self-pity and asked “What about me?”
  • Will you reconnect your motive to GOD’s love so you can gain the energy to serve those who may not be able to return favors, but GOD is reaching him or her through you?

No comments:

Post a Comment