Friday, December 2, 2022

Untitled

Untitled

1 Thessalonians 5: 12 We beg you, our friends, to pay proper respect to those who work among you, who guide and instruct you in the Christian life. 13 Treat them with the greatest respect and love because of the work they do. Be at peace among yourselves.

 

============

 

Sitting in a conference room freshly out of college, a person walked in and everyone stood up. I did not know what was going on, so I stood up too. They shook hands and when he left said “Don’t you know who that was?” I didn’t.

 

Months later, I was “in charge” of an assignment. I walked into the room and no one paid me any attention. I started doing the work and got a grievance filed against me for doing the work.

 

  • I was furious that I was not recognized for my title.
  • I wanted the same level of respect as that other guy who had a title.
  • I later made the mistake of treating people with titles different than people without titles

 

Paul, Silas and Timothy begged people to treat those called by GOD, to speak on HIS behalf, with respect. These people were often looked down on and murmured against. They implored the people to not only recognize them as servants of the Most High GOD, but to treat them with the highest respect as a way to get them to think opposite of disrespect.

 

My Observations

  • GOD is the only being who deserves the utmost respect from me.
  • GOD wants me to treat all HIS children with the highest respect.
  • Titles should not blind me into providing respect, rather I should give it to those who are looked down on, forgotten and lack power.

 

Seeking titles to gain respect may not be the best path. I mean, when I wanted a title so I could “help others” I found myself having to change for the worst because of that title and I could not “help” people the way I envisioned. GOD, on the other hand, wants servants who do not want HIS title.

 

Servants of GOD point their lives to HIM and want HIM to be know and exalted. In the process of speaking about HIM, their lives diminish. Other believers in JESUS must recognize the important message being told by those GOD has chosen as HIS speakers. I gladly give the highest respect to those who place GOD above all and are servants at heart.

 

Challenge

  • Are the writers speaking of a hierarchy type of respect or honorable?
  • Have you ever seen a servant who treated everyone with respect, regardless of his or her title?
  • Will you treat everyone with respect, especially those who do not have titles, so they can be recognized by using their GOD given gifts for the LORD today?

No comments:

Post a Comment