Wednesday, January 10, 2024

Committed

Committed

1 Peter 4: 17 The time has come for judgment to begin, and God's own people are the first to be judged. If it starts with us, how will it end with those who do not believe the Good News from God? 18 As the scripture says,

 

“It is difficult for good people to be saved;
    what, then, will become of godless sinners?”

 

19 So then, those who suffer because it is God's will for them, should by their good actions trust themselves completely to their Creator, who always keeps his promise.

 

============

 

Noticing that it was brighter than usual at that time of day, I looked outside only to see deep snow. I had to get to school, so I got dressed warm enough to face the cold. I waited on the bus for a while, but noticed it was not anywhere in sight. I walked to the next stop which was one mile away. The next three busses were late and packed. I arrived to school only to find out all schools in the city had been closed.

 

  • It was very hard to get to school that day.
  • Every part of the trip provided another reason to give up.
  • I felt like saying “You got to be kidding me!” but simply turned around and reversed the tumultuous trip.

 

Peter discussed GOD’s judgment as it relates to suffering Christians. He seemed to attempt to provide some straight talk to believers by quoting Solomon saying it is difficult for good people to be saved. He then acknowledges the difficulty and suggests that people who suffer because they follow the will of GOD, should be committed to keep going.

 

My Observations:

  • When GOD makes a promise, HE never, ever stops until HE keeps it.
  • I can place my total trust in GOD because HE keeps HIS promises.
  • My attempts to “do good” should continue, no matter how difficult the trip may be.

 

Belief in CHRIST is easy, but living for CHRIST can be difficult. I mean, the world presents itself in ways that seem okay. It’s okay to lie a little, get drunk a little, lust a little and be selfish a little, as long as it’s done in moderation. BUT GOD’s standard is compromised by this approach.

 

The other extreme is to follow the rules so strictly that fruit is not bared. GOD knows I a a sinner saved by HIS grace. Only through belief in perfection, namely JESUS, can I be saved. By siding with JESUS, I pick a fight with Satan, who in turn, wants me to quit talking about JESUS. I am glad GOD has given me and you purpose, even though it can be difficult at times.

 

Challenge

  • Why does the writer mention how difficult being a Christian can be?
  • Do you think everything should go your way all the time?
  • Do you believe there is an enemy to JESUS who wants to stop you at all costs?
  • Will you “trust” yourself to GOD by being committed to doing the good deed HE wants you to do today, no matter what the obstacle looks like?

No comments:

Post a Comment