Wednesday, January 3, 2024

Water Symbol

Water Symbol

18 For Christ died for sins once and for all, a good man on behalf of sinners, in order to lead you to God. He was put to death physically, but made alive spiritually, 19 and in his spiritual existence he went and preached to the imprisoned spirits. 20 These were the spirits of those who had not obeyed God when he waited patiently during the days that Noah was building his boat. The few people in the boat—eight in all—were saved by the water, 21 which was a symbol pointing to baptism, which now saves you. It is not the washing off of bodily dirt, but the promise made to God from a good conscience. It saves you through the resurrection of Jesus Christ, 22 who has gone to heaven and is at the right side of God, ruling over all angels and heavenly authorities and powers.

 

============

 

“Put this tee shirt on” was the statement from the group I volunteered for the day. It had the name of the organization and their slogan. When we were working together, everyone could tell we were all part of a group.

 

  • My shirt told others I belonged with the group.
  • I wore the shirt without shame.
  • While I wore the shirt, I was supposed to be doing what the group was doing.

 

Peter goes into some heavy theology as guided by the HOLY SPIRIT. He explained that JESUS, the only sinless human, died and was raised from the dead to save anyone who would believe in HIM. He then compared Noah’s family being saved to baptism. Both events are symbolic to the salvation through the resurrection of JESUS. Both events required faith and belief.

 

My Observations:

  • Just like Noah, who completed his task of building an ark all his life, GOD wants me to be steadfast and not give up.
  • Just like water baptism in front of people, GOD wants me to declare my relationship with HIM versus hiding it at convenient times.
  • Just like showing up to work, GOD wants me to hold up my end of the promise by living for HIM and keeping a “good conscience.”

 

Living for GOD can be hard these days. I mean, the symbols can be twisted from love to hatred. Some godly symbols can be misunderstood or even thrown in the dirt. BUT GOD is above any symbol.

 

HE got excited when I chose to be baptized because I declared to the world that I belong to HIM. Now HE wants me to wear HIS clothing for all to see. Meanwhile, JESUS is on the throne ruling over all authorities. I am glad I will one day see HIM through cleaned eyes.

 

Challenge

  • Why does the writer mention baptism?
  • Have you ever tried to hide your relationship with GOD in order to gain something from people?
  • If you are hiding your relationship with JESUS, will you unhide it little by little to save those around you today?

No comments:

Post a Comment