Friday, January 12, 2024

Apron of Humility

Apron of Humility

1 Peter 5: In the same way you younger people must submit yourselves to your elders. And all of you must put on the apron of humility, to serve one another; for the scripture says, “God resists the proud, but shows favor to the humble.” Humble yourselves, then, under God's mighty hand, so that he will lift you up in his own good time. Leave all your worries with him, because he cares for you.

 

============

 

“You are pretty good at this” were the words I loved to hear. I became more confident and took on more and more challenges. Soon I was “very good” in my own mind and wanted to make some demands or even leave for something better. After applying outside and not getting the position I had to tone down my demands.

 

  • I had become demanding.
  • I had become a bit arrogant.
  • I had forgotten that I knew nothing when I first started out.

 

Peter turns to new believers to provide advice to them. They may have desired a higher position within serving, so he suggests taking a humble approach. He implied having patience by saying “HE will lift you up in HIS own good time.”

 

My Observations:

  • GOD resists my pride, but shows me favor when I humble myself.
  • GOD changes my heart when I practice serving others.
  • GOD raises me up in HIS time, not mine.

 

Demanding that GOD “make me a leader right here and now” could come from a wrong heart. I mean, I may want to be a leader so “I” can take on the challenges I see fit. When I run into issues, I can simply call on GOD to beat up my enemies and fix all my problems. Unfortunately, HE doesn’t seem to work that way.

 

HE sees my heart and if it is full of pride, resists my efforts. But when I humble myself and ask HIM, “Is this wat YOU want?”, HE gets excited. HE then tells me to “leave all my worries with HIM” because HE cares for me. I am glad GOD takes care of me and raises me up in HIS time.

 

Challenge

  • Why does the writer emphasize serving one another?
  • Have you ever thought you would do a better job than your leaders?
  • Will you examine yourself to see if there are any opportunities to wear the “apron of humility” by following those put in leadership, whether you agree with HIS leadership appointment or not?

No comments:

Post a Comment