Tuesday, January 2, 2024

Ready At All Times

Ready At All Times

1 Peter 3: Be ready at all times to answer anyone who asks you to explain the hope you have in you, 16 but do it with gentleness and respect. Keep your conscience clear, so that when you are insulted, those who speak evil of your good conduct as followers of Christ will become ashamed of what they say. 17 For it is better to suffer for doing good, if this should be God's will, than for doing evil. 

 

============

 

Furious at the people who “attacked” me at work, I thought of ways to fight back. A thought crossed my mind to ask GOD to beat my enemies up. I had the justification because the attack was unprovoked.

 

  • All I could think about was “getting even.”
  • My performance started slipping because I wanted to fight.
  • I lost sleep due to thinking of the actions of other people.

 

Peter provided some necessary words to those who were being chased by their religious leaders who wanted to kill them because of their belief in CHRIST. Petr suggested that they “be ready” to present the Gospel with gentleness, respect and a clear conscience.

 

My Observations:

  • Thinking of evil retaliation can grow hatred and bitterness in my heart.
  • Getting back at someone makes me “not ready” to explain the Gospel.
  • Practicing GOD’s love and peace makes me “ready to answer” questions about HIS love.

 

Retaliation is not my job, BUT GOD’s. I mean, HE said “Vengeance is min, I will repay.” When HE used these words, HE did not include me in the “how” part of the method of repaying. So where does that leave me?

 

HE want my heart to “be ready” to show HIS love. HE desires that I explain the love of HIS SON in a non-combative respectful way. This way I can keep my conscience clear and let go of any hatred that may be growing in my heart. I am glad GOD gives me a way to let go of bitterness and to “be ready” when HE sends someone to me.

 

Challenge

  • What hope is the writer talking about?
  • Have you ever had a chance to show peace but you lost your patience and showed frustration or complaints?
  • Would you listen to the Gospel from someone who is complaining or combative?
  • Will you consider walking more in peace so you can “be ready” to present the Gospel with gentleness and respect today?

No comments:

Post a Comment