Thursday, January 18, 2024

Gifts Used to Escape

Gifts Used to Escape

2 Peter 1: God's divine power has given us everything we need to live a truly religious life through our knowledge of the one who called us to share in his own glory and goodness. In this way he has given us the very great and precious gifts he promised, so that by means of these gifts you may escape from the destructive lust that is in the world, and may come to share the divine nature. 

 

============

 

Hearing conversations about expensive houses, cars and luxurious vacations, I decided to spend my time and energy acquiring “the dream.” After climbing the ladder, I reached “the top” only to realize I had been trapped in high pressure, broken relationships and impressing pain on others.

 

  • I had talents that I was not using to grow GOD’s kingdom, rather I was put in a position to harm it.
  • I had gifts that GOD gave me that I was using for someone else’s gain.
  • I ignored GOD and put HIM in a box that I would open for an hour or two each Sunday.

 

Peter goes right into deep theology by saying “GOD has given us everything we need.” His statement suggests, that we already have the ability to live for GOD. It also suggests that we have a choice to live for GOD or to live life in pursuit of the world’s “destructive lust.”

 

My Observations:

  • The worst kind of lust is the one that everyone says “this is what you are supposed to pursue.”
  • Seeing GOD as the enemy to my pleasure can cause me to use my gifts and talents for my own pursuits.
  • GOD has given me everything I need to be successful in HIS eyes, I only have to use what HE gave me for HIS purpose.

 

Images of the world’s success makes me lust over what it has to offer. I mean, seeing movies where the star steps off of his or her own private jet after drinking the most expensive champagne and arriving in a chauffeur driven car to take him or her to a luxury home, makes me say “why don’t I have that?” BUT GOD wants HIS SON to be known and followed.

 

These two thoughts conflict. I stop following GOD to follow human stories of “success.” I mimic celebrities in hopes of being discovered. BUT GOD takes me off the lustful path and places me on a road that is traveled less. HE shows me how important it is to take the Gospel to the world, in hopes that HIS message will not be rejected. I gladly use my gifts for JESUS, who gave them to me in the first place.

 

Challenge

  • What “destructive lust” is the writer talking about?
  • Have you ever fallen into the trap of “everyone else is doing it?”
  • Will you use your GOD given gifts and talents to grow HIS kingdom, instead of growing your own today?

No comments:

Post a Comment