Thursday, January 11, 2024

Willing Leader

Willing Leader

1 Peter 5: I, who am an elder myself, appeal to the church elders among you. I am a witness of Christ's sufferings, and I will share in the glory that will be revealed. I appeal to you to be shepherds of the flock that God gave you and to take care of it willingly, as God wants you to, and not unwillingly. Do your work, not for mere pay, but from a real desire to serve. Do not try to rule over those who have been put in your care, but be examples to the flock. And when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the glorious crown which will never lose its brightness.

 

============

 

“We’re giving you a couple of people to manage” were the exciting words I wanted to hear in my young career. I did so with vim and vigor! But over time I got more and more responsibility. Soon I had an entire department. “Do you want more people?” they asked. I was reluctant.

 

  • I knew how difficult it was to manage people.
  • I knew the troubles I would face because I had led people for years.
  • Leadership was not what I thought it would be.

 

Peter appealed to church elders, or leaders within a given gathering of believers of JESUS. He gave his personal testimony of how he witnessed the sufferings of CHRIST. He also told everyone that he would share in the glory once JESUS returns. But then he turns to an appeal to “willingly” be a servant leader. He probably did this because he knew how hard leadership was.

 

My Observations:

  • GOD wants me to willingly lead selfish, unruly people to a place of peace.
  • GOD wants me to humble myself to be a servant leader.
  • JESUS is the “Chief Shepherd” who will give me a crown that will not lose its brightness.

 

Many people think leadership is easy until he or she has to do so. I mean, I had plenty of complaints about what leaders were doing or not doing, until I had to be one. Then I realized, I could not be all things to all people. What was I to do? GOD had a remedy.

 

HE placed me and other leaders on a path that serves others. This is a different leadership style that leverages influence over coercion. Servant leaders wants people to grow up to become servant leaders so they provide the example of how to follow CHRIST to the best of his or her abilities. I am glad GOD gives me a flock to serve.

 

Challenge

  • Why does the writer appeal to the church elders to lead “willingly?”
  • Have you ever worked for someone who hated his or her job?
  • If you are in leadership for CHRIST, will you consider “willingly” serving those who may be difficult to serve so they can see your example and turn to CHRIST someday?

No comments:

Post a Comment