Tuesday, August 14, 2018

More Than a Visit



Luke 7: 11 Now it happened, the day after, that He went into a city called Nain; and many of His disciples went with Him, and a large crowd. 12 And when He came near the gate of the city, behold, a dead man was being carried out, the only son of his mother; and she was a widow. And a large crowd from the city was with her. 13 When the Lord saw her, He had compassion on her and said to her, “Do not weep.” 14 Then He came and touched the open coffin, and those who carried him stood still. And He said, “Young man, I say to you, arise.” 15 So he who was dead sat up and began to speak. And He presented him to his mother.

16 Then fear came upon all, and they glorified God, saying, “A great prophet has risen up among us”; and, “God has visited His people.” 17 And this report about Him went throughout all Judea and all the surrounding region.

============

“Do you mind if my friend crashes on your couch?” was the question posed to me  one weekend. “Sure” was my answer. That weekend turned into a week which turned into a month. Soon the “guest” was eating up my food. “When is he going to leave?” I asked.

  • There were times when I had unwanted visitors.
  • There were times when I thought the “visit” was only going to be temporary.
  • There were times when I wanted the visitor to go home.


Ancient doctors could claim to heal people when they did something and the patient got well, but no one had ever raised someone from the dead, until JESUS. When HE said “Young man, I say to you, arise” the dead man got up and spoke. The crowd said “GOD has visited HIS people.”

  • JESUS became a human specifically to die in my place.
  • JESUS gave up everything just to save me.
  • JESUS has been placed above everything and has lifted me up eternally.


What the crowd did not understand was JESUS didn’t just stop by for a visit, HE came to HIS humans with a purpose, namely redemption. The thought HE was going to heal one or two people with magical powers.

Little did they know that JESUS would heal all of humanity with HIS death and resurrection. Those who believe in HIS sacrifice will be with HIM eternally. I am grateful for being saved!

  • Do you think GOD leaves you when you have problems?
  • Do you think GOD is doing some sadistic laboratory test on you to see things HE doesn’t already know?
  • Can you stop thinking negatively about GOD and see the enormous sacrifice HE did for you today?


No comments:

Post a Comment