Friday, August 10, 2018

Convincing and Deserving


Luke 7: Now when He concluded all His sayings in the hearing of the people, He entered Capernaum. And a certain centurion’s servant, who was dear to him, was sick and ready to die. So when he heard about Jesus, he sent elders of the Jews to Him, pleading with Him to come and heal his servant. And when they came to Jesus, they begged Him earnestly, saying that the one for whom He should do this was deserving, “for he loves our nation, and has built us a synagogue.”

============


Bargaining was all I had left. I sat and replayed my story over and over, trying to get the words straight, but the pressures of life kept creeping in my head. Finally, I thought of what I would say… “LORD, why?” “I’m good!” “I did x, yesterday, y last week and z years ago.” “Why am I still having problems.”

  • There are times when I want to convince GOD that I am good.
  • There are times when I want to tell GOD about what I have done for HIM.
  • There are times when I want to let GOD know I deserve better because I have been “good.”


The centurion was a wealthy, connected man. He learned how to get things done by having people speak on his behalf. But he did not know who he was approaching. He sent who he thought would convince JESUS to do his bidding. He asked church leaders to speak on his behalf because he did not know where to turn.

  • GOD wants me to see HIM as the first plan, not the last resort.
  • GOD wants me to recognize that I do not deserve better treatment but I can humbly ask for it.
  • GOD wants me to seek HIM for myself, especially when I do not feel worthy.


Convincing GOD that I deserve better treatment counters what HE thinks of humans. HIS declaration that any human who is a physical descendant of Adam and Eve is born into sin. BUT JESUS was conceived spiritually and qualified to redeem the world.

JESUS is my Savior and nothing I can say or do can convince HIM I am good. HE is the one who makes me good because HE died and is now alive for me.

  • Are you trying to bargain with GOD?
  • Do you feel you deserve better?
  • Can you admit you may not deserve to have your problem fixed, but ask GOD to grant you grace in exchange for your praise?

No comments:

Post a Comment