Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Why Do You Do What You Do?


John 1: 24 Now the Pharisees who had been sent 25 questioned him, ‘Why then do you baptise if you are not the Messiah, nor Elijah, nor the Prophet?’

26 ‘I baptise with water,’ John replied, ‘but among you stands one you do not know. 27 He is the one who comes after me, the straps of whose sandals I am not worthy to untie.’

28 This all happened at Bethany on the other side of the Jordan, where John was baptising.

============

“Here, take these” were the words as he handed me a pair of shoes. A friend saw my holey shoes and gave me a pair of his. I couldn’t afford new shoes and I couldn’t pay him back. “Here, take my car” said an uncle, giving me his car for a few dollars.

  • Sometimes I wonder what makes people do what they do.
  • Sometimes I wonder what the motive is behind their actions.
  • Sometimes I wonder why people have helped me.


“Why do you baptize?” the church leaders asked John, questioning his authority. John gave his reason, namely JESUS.

  • Because JESUS saved me, I am forever grateful.
  • Because JESUS saved me, I feel a desire to server others.
  • Because JESUS saved me, I want others to crave HIS grace.


When I get tired, JESUS is there to strengthen me to continue on. When things are falling apart all around me, JESUS is there to pick up the pieces and make me whole. JESUS gives me purpose and keeps me going. HE is my desire.

  • Why do you do what you do?
  • Are you trying to satisfy your inner desires?
  • Can you turn your desires over to GOD so HE can do a marvelous work through you today?


No comments:

Post a Comment