Friday, November 27, 2020

Adversity

 

Adversity

Acts 27: From there we put out to sea again and passed to the lee of Cyprus because the winds were against us. When we had sailed across the open sea off the coast of Cilicia and Pamphylia, we landed at Myra in Lycia. There the centurion found an Alexandrian ship sailing for Italy and put us on board. We made slow headway for many days and had difficulty arriving off Cnidus. When the wind did not allow us to hold our course, we sailed to the lee of Crete, opposite Salmone. We moved along the coast with difficulty and came to a place called Fair Havens, near the town of Lasea.

 

============

 

After waking up, I noticed it was brighter than usual. I looked outside and to my dread, it was snowing very hard. I quickly cleaned up, collected my things and plodded through the snow in hopes of catching the early bus. The snow was so deep that it hindered my effort.

 

I missed the bus so I walked a mile to the next bus only to have that one pull off without me. After many delays, I finally arrived at school after two hours, only to be told all schools were closed due to the blizzard. It took longer to get back home.

 

  • There have been many times when it seemed like everything was against me.
  • There have been many times when the journey seemed treacherous and difficult.
  • There have been many times when I arrived at the destination only to find yet another barrier.

 

Doctor Luke is the assumed writer of the book of Acts. He continues his observations as he writes to Theophilus  again. Luke wrote about the adversity they faced as he, Paul and others tried to get to Rome. The winds were against them every step of the way. They continued anyway.

 

  • GOD wants me to know there will be problems in life.
  • GOD wants me to know I will face difficult times.
  • GOD wants me to know HE is with me even when I feel HE is not.

 

When difficult times arise, I sometimes ask “Why?” I mean as a believer in JESUS, shouldn’t every day be easy and problem free? It seems like the more I believe in JESUS, the more difficult life becomes. GOD assures me I am on the right path.

 

JESUS faced adversity and said I would too. HE said “You will be hated by all for MY name's sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved.” JESUS faced hatred, lies and being misunderstood. HE continued anyway. I am grateful JESUS faced adversity for me.

 

  • Is life difficult for you?
  • Are you facing adversity and it does not seem to end?
  • Will you believe GOD is with you even when you cannot see what HE is doing today?

No comments:

Post a Comment