Wednesday, September 29, 2021

Balanced Structure

Balanced Structure

! Corinthians 14: 26 This is what I mean, my friends. When you meet for worship, one person has a hymn, another a teaching, another a revelation from God, another a message in strange tongues, and still another the explanation of what is said. Everything must be of help to the church. 27 If someone is going to speak in strange tongues, two or three at the most should speak, one after the other, and someone else must explain what is being said. 28 But if no one is there who can explain, then the one who speaks in strange tongues must be quiet and speak only to himself and to God.

 

============

 

Nervous, I answered the interviewers’ question with a very long statement. As I remembered something, I would say “Oh, I forgot to mention…” in my disjointed rambling. Needless to say, I did not get that job. I asked someone for advice and got organized. The next time, however, I was so focused on my new structure that I was thrown off when the interview did not go as planned.

 

  • I was unorganized and confused the person I was supposed to be explaining things to.
  • I was then too organized and not ready for meeting a different need.
  • I wanted to find a balance in my organization for something spontaneous.

 

Paul provides a suggestion rather than a command. He tried to get people to understand the real purpose of meeting together is to help people understand who JESUS is through song, teaching, testimonies and spontaneous speaking that would require interpretation. He wants everyone to think about the recipient versus those who are delivering.

 

My Observation

  • GOD wants me to be organized because people need structure.
  • GOD wants me to be flexible because HE cannot be contained to a certain hour or duration.
  • GOD wants me to be ready for HIM to reveal HIMSELF at any moment but have control over wanting the spotlight.

 

Order in church is important, especially to someone who has never attended a church service. But has order replaced reaching people? I mean, sometimes when church meets “my” expectation as a believer, I look around and do not see the fruit of hearing from a new person who freshly gave their life to CHRIST.

 

While order is important, purpose is more important. GOD doesn’t seem to be this repetitive lifeless being, rather one who is alive and working things out in a variety of lives. Out gatherings probably will not change overnight, but I can provide a balance of structure and spontaneity to my life to bring people to CHRIST.

 

Challenge

  • Have you had the urge to bring in new people to your gathering?
  • When is the last time you reviewed your order or your service?
  • Are you driven by meeting the expectations of those who are regular church goers?
  • Will you consider a balance that provides structure and spontaneity in your own life with the purpose of easing the concerns of someone who has not yet accepted JESUS as their Savior?

No comments:

Post a Comment