Friday, September 3, 2021

Eating Together on Purpose

Eating Together on Purpose

1 Corinthians 11: 33 So then, my friends, when you gather together to eat the Lord's Supper, wait for one another. 34 And if any of you are hungry, you should eat at home, so that you will not come under God's judgment as you meet together. As for the other matters, I will settle them when I come.

 

============

 

Summer marked a time when relatives would come over to eat. We would have a spread that was unmatched. Well, at least as far as I knew. It also marked a time when the annual church picnic would happen. Block clubs would spring up and close the streets to allow tables of food to be set up. Meals were full of fun.

 

  • I remember eating with a lot of people.
  • I remember having fun while I was eating.
  • I remember smiles, sharing and laughter around eating.

 

Paul warns everyone to “wait for one another” when eating the LORD”s supper. He also warns those who have a tendency to eat more than their share, to eat at home This gathering should be looked at as a time of togetherness, showing unity in proclaiming the victory JESUS has over death.

 

My Observation

  • GOD wants me to slow down and eat with people.
  • GOD wants me to wait on others to celebrate JESUS when they “get there.”
  • GOD wants me to eat only my portion and save some for everyone else.

 

Being with people seems to be important to GOD. But sometimes I look at the LORD’s supper as functional. I mean, I attend church and eat the symbolic meal at the right time, but do I know anyone else? Do people know me and what I am going through?

 

Slowing down to eat a meal brings people together to talk, celebrate and proclaim who JESUS is in our lives. HE wants us to come together on purpose.

 

Challenge

  • What do you notice about the assumption “when you gather together?”
  • What fond memories do you have around meals?
  • What ways are you “eating too much” and possibly bringing GOD’s judgment on yourself?
  • Will you seek celebrating togetherness in CHRIST with others today?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment