Monday, September 27, 2021

Ordinary People

Ordinary People

1 Corinthians 14: 13 The person who speaks in strange tongues, then, must pray for the gift to explain what is said. 14 For if I pray in this way, my spirit prays indeed, but my mind has no part in it. 15 What should I do, then? I will pray with my spirit, but I will pray also with my mind; I will sing with my spirit, but I will sing also with my mind. 16 When you give thanks to God in spirit only, how can ordinary people taking part in the meeting say “Amen” to your prayer of thanksgiving? They have no way of knowing what you are saying. 17 Even if your prayer of thanks to God is quite good, other people are not helped at all.

 

18 I thank God that I speak in strange tongues much more than any of you. 19 But in church worship I would rather speak five words that can be understood, in order to teach others, than speak thousands of words in strange tongues.

 

============

 

“Say it in English!” were the words of frustration in response to my statement. I thought I had communicated well, but I spoke using the terminology I was comfortable with. I then realized I was using “tech talk” because that was what I was used to.

 

  • Sometimes I may be saying one thing but not explaining myself well.
  • Sometimes I may use the words I am comfortable with, but they do not convey what I mean.
  • Sometimes I may speak before I understand how this message can be understood.

 

Paul explains that he can speak in many strange tongues, but what good is it if no one understands what is said? He implores people to seek clear communication that is easily understood.

 

My Observation

  • GOD wants me to speak to people with the purpose of everyone being able to praise HIM.
  • GOD wants me to value praying with other people when seeking to thank HIM.
  • GOD wants me to desire my words to be translated if I am speaking in a way that cannot be understood.

 

Communication is not easy. I mean, I can say one thing and to another person it can mean something else. If I am speaking in a way that cannot be understood, then other people cannot be included. It seems like GOD wants inclusion.

 

HE may give me a gift of being able to speak in another language, but HE wants more people than me to praise HIM. Prayers, singing and thanksgiving are to be shared with one another so GOD will be pleased with all participants. I am glad HE wants me to be part of a group of ordinary people who can worship HIM together.

 

Challenge

  • How are prayer, singing and thanksgiving to be shared with other people?
  • What benefits do you see in clearly communicating with other people?
  • Will you seek ways to teach or communicate to others clearly today?

No comments:

Post a Comment