Thursday, September 16, 2021

Untwisted Love

Untwisted Love

1 Corinthians 13: I may be able to speak the languages of human beings and even of angels, but if I have no love, my speech is no more than a noisy gong or a clanging bell. I may have the gift of inspired preaching; I may have all knowledge and understand all secrets; I may have all the faith needed to move mountains—but if I have no love, I am nothing. I may give away everything I have, and even give up my body to be burned—but if I have no love, this does me no good.

 

============

 

Reviewing another human’s actions and comparing them to this list, I can only come to the conclusion that all humans hate each other. Not one can do what is said in this list. But rereading the list, replacing the word “love” with “JESUS” and now, the list makes sense.

 

  • My “love” will be misinterpreted.
  • Someone else’s “love” can be misunderstood.
  • Our “love” can be selfish, filled with sin, and, in reality, twisted and false.

 

Paul wrote an entire letter, trying to get this church to focus on spreading the good news about JESUS. Unfortunately, the selfish look at this list as a “what about me?” list.  Paul was trying to unify “the body” and provided the only solution. Rereading the list shows the need for JESUS and it stops there.

 

My Observation

  • I may be able to do many things, but if I have no JESUS, the things I do are worthless.
  • I may be able to acquire large sums of money but if I have no JESUS, the material possessions will hold me.
  • I may be able to give up everything and be homeless, serving worthy causes, but if I have no JESUS, all my actions will be in vain.

 

JESUS is pure love because HE is GOD. Measuring someone else’s “love” would be problematic because there would always be a smidge of sin in it. Love cannot contain a smidge of sin, hurt or hate, so JESUS had to provide pure love to the world.

 

My “love” is tainted, but GOD has given me pure love that is not. I am glad I can point people to this pure love so anyone who accepts HIM will feel true love.

 

Challenge

  • When you replace the word “love” in the passage above, what do you notice?
  • What do you observe about the list of comparison items such as languages, preaching, understanding scripture, faith and sacrifice?
  • Who did the Pharisees overlook and what actions did they pride themselves on?
  • Will you rethink love and focus on JESUS versus the tainted love humans give?

No comments:

Post a Comment