Wednesday, September 8, 2021

Ready, Willing and Able

Ready, Willing and Able

1 Corinthians 12: There are different kinds of spiritual gifts, but the same Spirit gives them. There are different ways of serving, but the same Lord is served. There are different abilities to perform service, but the same God gives ability to all for their particular service. The Spirit's presence is shown in some way in each person for the good of all.

 

============

 

Learning how to drive seemed like something that took a long time, even though the class was only a semester. I was willing to drive people anywhere they wanted to go, but I did not know the rules of the road, nor did I own a car. I also was not old enough. “When will I ever be able to drive?!” I wondered impatiently.

 

  • I really wanted something I was not ready for.
  • I was willing but not able.
  • I felt I had the potential, but I needed to wait to use it.

 

Paul begins to explain spiritual gifts. The beginning of the lesson shows where the gifts come from, namely the HOLY SPIRIT. Each person is given their own gift which makes him or her ready to serve the LORD. But he says something strange. He says “GOD gives ability to all for their particular service.” Timing is everything.

 

My Observations

  • GOD gave me a special gift, by the HOLY SPIRIT, that no one else has.
  • GOD wants me to be willing to use my special gift to serve the LORD by serving HIS people.
  • GOD wants me to be patient when HE says wait, for it is HE who provides the opportunities.

 

Being willing to serve the LORD is a wonderful, yet confusing thing. I mean, sometimes our desire to serve the LORD may be sincere, but how we think we should serve HIM may not align with HIS timing or audience. I may be willing right now, but HE has a particular person in mind who is not ready to hear a message from me.

 

HE also has my needs in HIS plan. I may not be ready to serve but HE will provide me with the right gift and audience at HIS time. This requires patience. I gladly wait on HIS audience, in HIS timing to serve HIS people the way HE wants me to serve them.

 

Challenge

  • Are you willing to serve the LORD?
  • What do you notice about where the spiritual gifts come from?
  • What do you notice about the word ‘different’ spoken here?
  • Will you seek to use your gifts and talents “for the good of all” today?

No comments:

Post a Comment