Tuesday, November 7, 2023

Available Power

Available Power

James 5: 16 So then, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, so that you will be healed. The prayer of a good person has a powerful effect. 17 Elijah was the same kind of person as we are. He prayed earnestly that there would be no rain, and no rain fell on the land for three and a half years. 18 Once again he prayed, and the sky poured out its rain and the earth produced its crops.

 

============

 

Thinking I was by myself, I came up with plans to address my problems. Suddenly, I felt a sharp pain in my chest. I couldn’t even breathe deeply. I called a coworker over to my apartment. He asked questions that showed he was nervous about the situation too. I began to pray because I did not know what to do. Suddenly I felt better. I went to the doctor and they could not find out what was wrong.

 

  • I was scared.
  • I was in pain.
  • I did not know how to “fix” this.

 

James says some difficult words to hear. “Confess your sins to one another.” He implies that some, not all, ailments could be manifested by sin. He provides a remedy, namely prayer.

 

My Observations:

  • Confession of my sins relieves me of guilt that could cause me to lose sleep.
  • Turning away from my sins enables me to rest better because my conscience is clear.
  • Asking GOD to intervene when someone tells me about his or her sins, is more powerful than gossip.

 

Praying seems weak but is extremely powerful. I mean, when I humble myself before GOD, HE is willing to listen. HE knows when I am too proud or too hateful to place things before HIM correctly. HE also knows when I am forcing HIS hand to get “my” way. BUT GOD is merciful.

 

HE brings to mind the things I need to confess and gives me an opportunity to say, “I need help with this.” HE is willing to help me when I ask for help. HE is delighted when I tell others I need help in an area of my life. HE then surrounds me with the right people to guide me back to HIM. I am glad HE is willing to heal me and put me back on the right path.

 

Challenge

  • Why does the writer mention confession when he later talks about being healed?
  • Do you believe in the power of prayer?
  • Why don’t you get your way all the time?
  • Wil you tap into the power of prayer by confessing and talking to GOD on someone else’s behalf today?

No comments:

Post a Comment