Monday, November 6, 2023

First Action

First Action

James 5: 13 Are any among you in trouble? They should pray. Are any among you happy? They should sing praises. 14 Are any among you sick? They should send for the church elders, who will pray for them and rub olive oil on them in the name of the Lord. 15 This prayer made in faith will heal the sick; the Lord will restore them to health, and the sins they have committed will be forgiven. 

 

============

 

Nervous about the bad news, I laid awake at night. I could not sleep for a week. We got together and discussed the impending doom. More conversations about what “could” happen were had than that of what good was going on in our lives.

 

  • My first “reaction” was to start planning.
  • My first “impulse” was to try to make sense out of a situation that was out of my hands.
  • My first “assumption” was that everything bad was “definitely” going to happen.

 

James gives the answer to all problems, namely “pray.” He gives three ways to do this. He says people who are in trouble should talk to GOD directly about the trouble. He also says, if things are going well, people should “praise” GOD. He then says the sick may need more people to help so ask for other to “petition” to GOD in prayer.

 

Prayer seems like a last resort kind of thing. I mean, usually I try to “fix” the problem myself and when things get even worse, I panic and possible blame. BUT GOD has a different way.

 

HE wants me to come to HIM first with any problem, trouble or sickness. Asking GOD for HIS advice, direction and counsel, helps me think clearly and takes the ownership off of me and places it on HIM. This requires a vast amount of faith. Those who like to “control” situations will not like the answer of prayer. BUT GOD lives when I can praise HIM. I am glad GOD is willing to listen to me.,

 

Challenge

  • What ways does the writer give in developing solutions?
  • Have you ever developed a solution and things did not come out as expected?
  • How did you react?
  • Will you take your first action to GOD so HE can heal, fix and provide for you today?

No comments:

Post a Comment