Friday, February 8, 2019

Give Differently


Luke 20: 20 Keeping a close watch on him, they sent spies, who pretended to be sincere. They hoped to catch Jesus in something he said, so that they might hand him over to the power and authority of the governor. 21 So the spies questioned him: ‘Teacher, we know that you speak and teach what is right, and that you do not show partiality but teach the way of God in accordance with the truth. 22 Is it right for us to pay taxes to Caesar or not?’

23 He saw through their duplicity and said to them, 24 ‘Show me a denarius. Whose image and inscription are on it?’

‘Caesar’s,’ they replied.

25 He said to them, ‘Then give back to Caesar what is Caesar’s, and to God what is God’s.’

26 They were unable to trap him in what he had said there in public. And astonished by his answer, they became silent.

============

Worrying about money had become a regular pastime of mine. I mean no matter how much I made it seemed to be just short of what I “needed.” With the mountain of debt growing higher and higher I found myself unable to give  like I truly wanted to.

  • Many times I have felt “stuck.”
  • Many times I have felt like I was between a rock and a hard place.
  • Many times I have felt the pinch of making it from check to check, hoping nothing will go wrong.


Spies were sent to trick JESUS. They asked HIM about taxes, hoping to trip HIM up. JESUS saw through their “duplicity” and said to them “Give to Caesar what is Caesar’s and to GOD what is GOD’s.” This made me think. What is GOD’s stuff?

  • GOD says to me “I own everything.”
  • GOD says to me “MY desire from you is to bear fruit.”
  • GOD says to me “Give ME your family, your friends, your neighbors and your coworkers.”


What currency does GOD use? The being who owns everything decided to become a human so HE could be blamed for all of my sins. This was extremely “costly.” My debt to GOD is based on the value of life. No percentage or amount can be placed on what HE has done for me.

So what can I give when I don’t have anything? GOD wants me to give my love to those who hate me. GOD wants me to pray positively for those who speak negatively about me. GOD wants me to spend time with those who hurt and are in need. My fruit is the people I bring to GOD.

  • Do you feel poor?
  • Are you being asked to give more money when you don’t have any?
  • Can you give your thoughts and prayers to those around you?
  • Will you turn your complaining heart to that of love for others?

No comments:

Post a Comment