Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Seeking Greatness


Luke 22: 21 But the hand of him who is going to betray me is with mine on the table. 22 The Son of Man will go as it has been decreed. But woe to that man who betrays him!’ 23 They began to question among themselves which of them it might be who would do this.

24 A dispute also arose among them as to which of them was considered to be greatest. 25 Jesus said to them, ‘The kings of the Gentiles lord it over them; and those who exercise authority over them call themselves Benefactors. 26 But you are not to be like that. Instead, the greatest among you should be like the youngest, and the one who rules like the one who serves. 27 For who is greater, the one who is at the table or the one who serves? Is it not the one who is at the table? But I am among you as one who serves. 28 You are those who have stood by me in my trials. 29 And I confer on you a kingdom, just as my Father conferred one on me, 30 so that you may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom and sit on thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

============

Potato chip boxes, old coffee cans and a few bulbs from flashlights were the materials of my science project idea. I planned on building a robot. This idea would definitely “win” the science fair. “I could just see it now, they would give me the trophy or ribbon or some sort of prize”, I imagined as I jumped into my pursuit.

  • Many times I wanted to be known as “great.”
  • Many times I wanted to “win” something.
  • Many times I wanted to be the one who was on “top” rather than being on the bottom of the junk pile.


JESUS had just told the disciples that one of them would betray HIM. After each disciple questioned whether it was them or not, they went into a familiar discussion amongst humans. The disciples argued over who would be greater. I imagine them remembering how they healed someone just by speaking, so of course they would be greater than someone else, right?

  • GOD tells me to serve HIS people without thinking of becoming “great.”
  • GOD tells me to be genuine with HIS people and hope for the best, even for my enemies.
  • GOD tells me to humble myself and allow HIM to decide how high HE wants to raise me among humans and in heaven.


Pursuing human greatness has its flaws. Humans can flatter in order to become great within themselves. JESUS knows that worldly greatness cannot compare to HIS greatness. HE wants me to focus on HIS kingdom by becoming a servant to as many people I can while I am alive. GOD wants me to bear HIS fruit. I am grateful to be HIS servant.

  • Are you stuck on trying to be great?
  • Are you frustrated because your human plans have fallen apart?
  • Will you allow GOD to declare how great you should be and allow HIM to deliver you to the right person to speak about HIM today?

No comments:

Post a Comment