Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Nature


Luke 21: 20 ‘When you see Jerusalem being surrounded by armies, you will know that its desolation is near. 21 Then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains, let those in the city get out, and let those in the country not enter the city. 22 For this is the time of punishment in fulfilment of all that has been written. 23 How dreadful it will be in those days for pregnant women and nursing mothers! There will be great distress in the land and wrath against this people. 24 They will fall by the sword and will be taken as prisoners to all the nations. Jerusalem will be trampled on by the Gentiles until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled.

25 ‘There will be signs in the sun, moon and stars. On the earth, nations will be in anguish and perplexity at the roaring and tossing of the sea.26 People will faint from terror, apprehensive of what is coming on the world, for the heavenly bodies will be shaken. 27 At that time they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory.28 When these things begin to take place, stand up and lift up your heads, because your redemption is drawing near.’

============

Startled, I jumped back so the animal could not lurch at me as it did before. “Don’t worry, it’s only acting natural” the animal’s keeper told me. This did not give me any assurance, but I heeded the warnings and did not try to pet it.

  • Some things in nature confuse me.
  • Some things in nature makes me a bit nervous.
  • Some things in nature keeps me on edge.


JESUS continues with HIS prediction of what will come. HE speaks about the nature of humans and how they want power over others. HE speaks about how horrible those in power will treat their captives, but HE says this will last only for a period of time. HE then speaks about nature itself becoming more and more violent and disruptive.

  • GOD says to me “I can see your heart and though you turned away from ME, I died for you.”
  • GOD says to me “I know your thoughts and I still have plans to prosper you to a hope and a future.”
  • GOD says to me “When I return, the heavenly bodies will be shaken.”


Waiting for something to happen for thousands of years can seem quite crazy. As one volcano erupts, humans scurry to see if the end is coming, but when it does not, they fall to their old, non-believing ways. JESUS tries to be as candid as possible.

HE has already seen what HE is trying to tell HIS people in this passage, yet the warning falls on deaf ears to some. Our expectation of GOD is to fix the cursed earth to be heaven. In other words we want to tell GOD to lie and go back on HIS word. GOD set the beginning and the end in motion and these things must take place. It is only natural. I will one day stand up and lift my head towards HIM.

  • Have you gotten weary at looking for JESUS’s return?
  • Do the problems of the day take precedence over waiting on GOD?
  • Will you stop looking for heaven on earth and be thankful for every moment GOD has given you?

No comments:

Post a Comment