Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Code Words


Acts 15: Certain people came down from Judea to Antioch and were teaching the believers: “Unless you are circumcised, according to the custom taught by Moses, you cannot be saved.” This brought Paul and Barnabas into sharp dispute and debate with them. So Paul and Barnabas were appointed, along with some other believers, to go up to Jerusalem to see the apostles and elders about this question. The church sent them on their way, and as they traveled through Phoenicia and Samaria, they told how the Gentiles had been converted. This news made all the believers very glad. When they came to Jerusalem, they were welcomed by the church and the apostles and elders, to whom they reported everything God had done through them.

============

After getting the uneven sticks to protrude from the ground, we laid a blanket, I got from the house, on top. This was now a tent. We pondered, “What will be the password?” This was to keep all of the many people out who wanted in. I mean we had comic books and a box of snacks… who wouldn’t want in?

  • In the past I joined exclusive clubs.
  • In the past I enjoyed the perks of exclusionary travel.
  • In the past I looked for ways to exclude people from meetings, email or important information.


Racial tension brewed as some people taught, “Unless you are circumcised, according to the custom taught by Moses, you cannot be saved.” These words were hurtful to the other races around who had given their lives to JESUS. Paul and Barnabas confronted the malefactors with a protest. On their way to the protest, they explained to many how other races had accepted JESUS. The church was glad.

  • GOD wants me to seek inclusion into HIS kingdom.
  • GOD wants me to seek those who have pulled away from HIS kingdom.
  • GOD wants me to seek people rather than exclude them.


Using code words to exclude is seen by GOD. I mean, when I say, “I’m going to TRY to do better”, I’m not really saying “I will do better and here is how.” The Jewish church leaders were trying to exclude others, including women, from having hope in being saved. GOD wants me to speak to men and women from all races, teaching them of HIS wonderful gift. I am grateful for JESUS’ salvation.

  • Are you using words that exclude people?
  • Do you want to belong to clubs or groups that use words that make people fit in?
  • Will you stop trying to exclude people and invite them to receive JESUS as their Savior today?


No comments:

Post a Comment