Thursday, July 16, 2020

Desire Backfire


Acts 14: 11 When the crowd saw what Paul had done, they shouted in the Lycaonian language, “The gods have come down to us in human form!” 12 Barnabas they called Zeus, and Paul they called Hermes because he was the chief speaker. 13 The priest of Zeus, whose temple was just outside the city, brought bulls and wreaths to the city gates because he and the crowd wanted to offer sacrifices to them.

14 But when the apostles Barnabas and Paul heard of this, they tore their clothes and rushed out into the crowd, shouting: 15 “Friends, why are you doing this? We too are only human, like you. We are bringing you good news, telling you to turn from these worthless things to the living God, who made the heavens and the earth and the sea and everything in them. 

============

Twelve forty five AM, I wanted to get a nap, so I went out to empty ash trays and pick up empty drink glasses left by the midnight bowling league. My coworker went missing and I did not want to be disturbed so I did his side.

With child labor laws being overlooked, the cashier allowed me to sleep for 15 minutes when there was a chance. When the boss came by, he saw that I could handle everything by myself. He fired the other guy. Now I had more work. I could not even finish my homework.

  • Sometimes my desire drives my effort.
  • Sometimes my effort does not match the result.
  • Sometimes the result causes a different desire.


Paul, seeing the lame man, told him to walk and he did. This amazed everyone so much, that they called Paul and Barnabas gods. They bowed to them and offered sacrifices to them. When Barnabas and Paul heard of this they felt horrible. This was not the desired outcome.

  • GOD wants me to point my life to HIM.
  • GOD wants me to give HIM credit for everything that is done.
  • GOD wants me to teach others to focus on HIM and not me.


Teaching someone about GOD is the best thing to do. But what happens when the person cannot stop looking at the teacher? GOD wants me to never desire a crowd following only me. HE wants me to show that they can go directly to the source if they believe in JESUS. I pray that many turn from me and follow JESUS who is the Savior.

  • Do you desire followers?
  • Are you trying to get attention?
  • Will you stop trying to get the spotlight and allow GOD to be seen through your life so HE can get the glory today?

No comments:

Post a Comment