Wednesday, July 29, 2020

Split Decision


Acts 15: 36 Some time later Paul said to Barnabas, “Let us go back and visit the believers in all the towns where we preached the word of the Lord and see how they are doing.” 37 Barnabas wanted to take John, also called Mark, with them, 38 but Paul did not think it wise to take him, because he had deserted them in Pamphylia and had not continued with them in the work. 39 They had such a sharp disagreement that they parted company. Barnabas took Mark and sailed for Cyprus, 40 but Paul chose Silas and left, commended by the believers to the grace of the Lord. 41 He went through Syria and Cilicia, strengthening the churches.

=============

When I heard the news of a friend leaving the gathering I regularly attended, I was shocked. The leader of the gathering and the co-leader had parted ways. Not knowing what happened between them, I attempted to get them to speak to one another to no avail. Now I was put in a bad spot. If I stayed, then one would think I was “siding with the opposition,” and vice versa if I left.

  • When people split up it stinks!
  • When people split up it affects many.
  • When people split up it weakens the purpose.


Paul and Barnabas had been through very difficult times together. Paul was stoned and left for dead, yet he continued in the faith. Barnabas wanted to bring Mark with them on their next journey. Paul adamantly disagreed, saying Mark had deserted them.

After a sharp disagreement, Paul and Barnabas separated. While the believers commended Paul, this weakened the support of Barnabas.

  • GOD wants me to try to avoid splits.
  • GOD wants me to work on loving one another, even when we disagree.
  • GOD wants me to see HIM as the goal rather than siding with a group.


Humans are creative with how we hate each other. Immediate reactions to what a person wears, or does not wear or how a person is wearing it or when a person wears it, shows how easily humans throw out compassion in the cause of compassion. No one wins in a split. BUT GOD still continues.

GOD knew humans would not choose HIM. HE saw the poison of sin mixing in with my blood, blinding me of the truth. HE died for me and placed the HOLY SPIRIT in me, to forgive me and guide me back to HIM. This act of kindness cleansed me but did not prevent me from sinning. I am grateful JESUS forgive me daily.

  • Are you on a side of something?
  • Are you taking a stance against someone or a group?
  • Will you check to see if your heart is turning to stone and ask GOD to soften it enough to have you pray for your opposition in a loving way today?

No comments:

Post a Comment