Monday, March 13, 2023

Gentle Correction

Gentle Correction

2 Timothy 2: 22 Avoid the passions of youth, and strive for righteousness, faith, love, and peace, together with those who with a pure heart call out to the Lord for help. 23 But keep away from foolish and ignorant arguments; you know that they end up in quarrels. 24 As the Lord's servant, you must not quarrel. You must be kind toward all, a good and patient teacher, 25 who is gentle as you correct your opponents, for it may be that God will give them the opportunity to repent and come to know the truth. 26 And then they will come to their senses and escape from the trap of the Devil, who had caught them and made them obey his will.

 

============

 

Being insecure and tired of being pushed around was a bad combination for me. On one hand, I had run into my share of bullies on the other, I ran into my share of mean people who called me names. I decided to fight back against aggressive and passive aggressive bullies.

 

 

Paul warns Timothy not to quarrel. He knew that fighting would get Timothy nowhere. He appeals to him as “the LORD’s servant” to be a kind, good and patient teacher who gently corrects. He then gives the reason. Because GOD may have them repent.

 

My Observations

  • I did not trust GOD to handle my battles, BUT HE wants to.
  • I did not believe that GOD cared about me enough to work out my quarrels, BUT HE wants me to be different.
  • I thought I needed to correct everyone so he or she could see the LORD, but I was wrong, it takes gentleness and GOD’s leading to bring people to HIM.

 

Impatience mixed with correction wins a battle and loses the war. I mean, I have lost my cool with my family, friends and neighbors and could not mention JESUS to them. This is a tragic loss. BUT GOD says to me, “There is another way.”

 

HE wants me to try something different. Instead of winning the battle, HE wants me to focus on the war, namely having each member of my family truly believe in JESUS and HIM equipping each to proclaim HIM in a glorifying way. I have to be secure in my relationship with JESUS to allow opposition to HIS ways and be patient and gentle so HE can win them over. I will gladly learn gentleness in exchange for the souls of people I encounter.

 

Challenge

  • What does the writer say about being “combative?”
  • Have you ever been right and could not wait to win “this” fight?
  • Will you stop quarrelling and let GOD move that person towards HIM by your gentle, patient corrections, knowing HE could save him or her from the “Devil’s trap” in HIS time?

No comments:

Post a Comment