Tuesday, March 21, 2023

But You

But You

2 Timothy 4: The time will come when people will not listen to sound doctrine, but will follow their own desires and will collect for themselves more and more teachers who will tell them what they are itching to hear. They will turn away from listening to the truth and give their attention to legends. But you must keep control of yourself in all circumstances; endure suffering, do the work of a preacher of the Good News, and perform your whole duty as a servant of God.

 

============

 

Waiting a few seconds in silence, one student gave the “all clear” so everyone could get up and do whatever. The teacher had given us a command to remain silent until she returned. That was laughable. I usually did not participate, but I walked around, laughed and played. When she returned, I was still away from my desk. “Stay after class” she said. Nervous at her words, I complied. “I expect this from some of the others, but you… I expect more.”

 

  • Her words cut deep.
  • I regretted doing like “everyone” else.
  • I knew I should have listened to that voice inside that said “Don’t do this.”

 

Paul warns of an impending time that will come when people will just flat out stop listening to GOD’s word. He tells Timothy that human desires will become more prevalent and people will even become teachers, telling others to follow the wide path. “But you”, referring to believers in CHRIST, keep control.

 

My Observations

  • GOD wants me to keep control and endure suffering, even when the crowd has a different way.
  • GOD wants me to preach the Good News, even when it is not popular to preach.
  • GOD wants me to perform my duty as a servant of HIM, even when it means becoming low instead of being raised up high by the world.

 

Let’s face it, speaking about JESUS is tough. I mean, the world will fall away from listening to this message and it will seem like an overwhelming task to speak about the love of JESUS, expecting results. BUT GOD wants everyone who believes in JESUS to seek and speak.

 

It does seem like people only think of self-preservation. Classes and mantras are taught, devoid the love of JESUS. Implied messages do not carry the words “JESUS died for me and was raised from the dead. My belief in HIM gives me eternal life. HE wants your heart, will you accept HIM today?” I will gladly speak on HIS behalf to small crowds if necessary.

 

Challenge

  • Does the writer paint an easy picture?
  • Do you feel like life should be easy?
  • Will you take a deep breath and speak on HIS behalf, even when the world is not listening, because GOD needs you for “that” person today?

No comments:

Post a Comment